The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Temperatures for Angraecum sesquipedale, Veitchii etc.
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
My nearest city or region is: Bristol, United Kingdom
Hi all!

This issue is really starting to bug me. I have an Angraecum sesquipedale which I bought at the end of last year, and an Angraecum Veitchii which I bought today. I have decided to dump the bark both came in and transfer them to hydroleca in very large pots, because I have heard so much about how they hate repotting (and as hydroleca will never break down they will not need to be repotted for many years).

However, I can still not find a reliable consensus for the required temperatures for species and hybrids like sesquipedale, Veitchii etc. Some people say to grow them hot all year round, while others insist they will die if this happens. Some say that they will not flower unless they are grown cool-intermediate all year round. Some say grow them hot but reduce temperatures during the autumn and winter to initiate flowering. These are just among the very different and conflicting opinions I have heard for temperature requirements. All this has left me feeling very confused :confusion-questionmarks: :?:

So my question is: what do people here do regarding temperature? I am especially interested in hearing from those who flower them very well.

Dino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:07 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 7 posts
I live in: Australia
My nearest city or region is: Fyans Creek, Victoria
I grow 2 plants. Before the installation of my new heating system, the house temps ranged from 6c at the worst, normally 10c, to 40c at the hottest. The only problems I had were that the buds on eburneum would damp off. It didn't seem to worry sesquipedale. I grew Veitchii many years ago in a different location & temps & got the same bud results but the plant grew well. My new heating system should hold the house temp at 15c at worst & this hopefully will save the buds. My eburneum is in spike now so I will know in a month or two is the theory is correct. Spike initiated in Summer, throughs the theory you've been given out the door. A. sesq' usually flowers a little later for me & I havn't seen a spike as yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:28 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 20 posts
Quote:
Some say grow them hot but reduce temperatures during the autumn and winter to initiate flowering.

That's what works with me, and I reduce watering too!!

My blog, orchids and fossils

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:34 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
My nearest city or region is: Bristol, United Kingdom
Thank you for the replies! So do you two think if I put these two plants in my greenhouse (minimum 13 degrees Celsius) that they will be fine? I was worried about Veitchii especially as I know that one of the parents, eburneum, is hot growing...but from what I see here even cool temperatures don't seem to bother a pure eburneum?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:17 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 20 posts
Minimum 13°C will be enough, do'nt worry!!

My blog, orchids and fossils

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 34 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Lancaster
hi,i have tried Hydroleca with a few different genuses including Cattleyas and angrecoids and it is a disaster as it absorbs salts and kills the plants as well as getting too cold and wet in winter.Try using the new coarse grade 'ORCHIATA'bark which takes many years to deteriorate and use pond baskets to make it last forever!Hydroleca is best used as humidity retention on the floor or bench for pots to sit on.Trust me it will kill your plants,it may have impurities when manufactured or fired.Barry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:03 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 458 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
Temps 13c upto very warm. Plenty of fert and sun in summer and if you do as orchidbaz says you wont go far wrong- Nice to see someone else for from the NW.

Ed