The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - C. intermedia var. coerulea. Potential Bud Watch.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:27 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 311 posts
I live in: Ireland • Éire
My nearest city or region is: Wexford
My hardiness zone is: 9 (usually)
Super

Coming increasingly to the opinion that the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about.

Check out my YouTube channel, Gardening at Douentza : https://www.youtube.com/c/gardeningatdouentza

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 368 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
A smashing little flower Michele.
After looking at all the vibrant reds, yellows, oranges etc of other flowers, it's nice to see a restful, pure, clean, simple, white colour.
Of course after looking at white flowers, you then want to see a bit of colour ! :?

Steve

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:55 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 61 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lancashire
Thanks Rachel and Steve.
stevek wrote:
After looking at all the vibrant reds, yellows, oranges etc of other flowers, it's nice to see a restful, pure, clean, simple, white colour.
Of course after looking at white flowers, you then want to see a bit of colour ! :?

:lol: I know what you mean. With many Orchids variety is not a problem the main problems being: What to get next? -and- Where to put them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:49 pm 

Hope you all had a good new year!
Been a while since I've posted, though I have been lurking.

Update.
The Beefing up is coming along, with any luck will have three blooms this year! :dance: (Yes I know, I need to clean the old leaves a bit ;) )
Have place the mount in a hanging basket, hopefully this will encourage new growth away from the mount (eventually) and I can think about splitting and potting up.

Stevek - I haven't forgotten you! when it gets to that stage there be one with your name on it, if you still want it.

As for mounting a Cattleya again, I think I shall wait until I have a niece big mount that wont become swamped quickly.

Attachments:
File comment: C. intermedia var. coerulea.
CttnBud-20170130174106-01.png
CttnBud-20170130174106-01.png [ 1001.87 KiB | Viewed 1401 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:17 pm 

Hi Michelle (stranger ?!)

Your plant is certainly beefing up indeed, it looks like the new growth is a lot longer than the old, the older growth now looking like bulbs and the new growth more like canes ?
The leaf markings look like either the residue from tap water (something I don't miss since using rain-water) or maybe the addition to the water of a spray (insecticide or fungicide?)
It can't be helped but I have noticed that dust/stains on a plant always seem to look worse in a photo for everyone to see.

Couldn't help noticing the basket liner material in the photo (which is either coconut fibre or Coir?) as I started trialling this for my mounts.
No problem with sphagnum except that it can develop its own growth of moss and overwhelm a small plant, I dont think moss growth will be a problem with Coir due to its texture and free-draining properties, I think it may have similar properties to Epi-Web which some rave about for mounting, I've never seen or used Epi-Web but some-one said it had a texture like those plastic scourers?. The Coir almost seems to be water repellant which would be no problem in a basket but upright on a mount, my concern is that the water just runs over the surface of the Coir without giving it a deep down soaking, to remedy this I spray my mounteds with a garden sprayer and always place the nozzle right against the Coir so I know the water is being forced right down to the base of the mount.

I have to decline your kind offer at the moment :( , due to the perennial space problems but will keep it in mind, maybe there will be something I have which you are interested in and we could do a swap? Also because I already have a similar plant but with a flush of pink (Jairak Doll) which I’m concerned may become a monster and take over my log mount, two of them would leave me less room for other plants and what with the London Show and all its Goodies coming up soon :dance: ?,........ but I will watch your cattleyas progress with interest.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:34 pm 

stevek wrote:
Your plant is certainly beefing up indeed, it looks like the new growth is a lot longer than the old, the older growth now looking like bulbs and the new growth more like canes ?
The leaf markings look like either the residue from tap water (something I don't miss since using rain-water) or maybe the addition to the water of a spray (insecticide or fungicide?)
It can't be helped but I have noticed that dust/stains on a plant always seem to look worse in a photo for everyone to see.

It's amazing what getting back to the right routine will do for a plant - this plant loves the light.
Definitely water residue, when watered it tends to sit in the dips of the leaves and I've just forgot to wipe the leafs or a while. Yeah, dust it a pain - Doesn't matter how clean you environment is, with today's cameras you can spot the slightest speck.

stevek wrote:
Couldn't help noticing the basket liner material in the photo (which is either coconut fibre or Coir?) as I started trialling this for my mounts.
No problem with sphagnum except that it can develop its own growth of moss and overwhelm a small plant, I dont think moss growth will be a problem with Coir due to its texture and free-draining properties, I think it may have similar properties to Epi-Web which some rave about for mounting, I've never seen or used Epi-Web but some-one said it had a texture like those plastic scourers?. The Coir almost seems to be water repellant which would be no problem in a basket but upright on a mount, my concern is that the water just runs over the surface of the Coir without giving it a deep down soaking, to remedy this I spray my mounteds with a garden sprayer and always place the nozzle right against the Coir so I know the water is being forced right down to the base of the mount.

The basket was cheap at £1 plus lining which was describes as Coconut Fibres (so yes, Coir). Needed to find a better way to keep it for now, so I thought "I'll give it a shot!". Depending on how compact the fibers and how much they are soaked will affect the retention of water over time, I've noticed. Though the inner basket started of quite compact, but after weeks of general watering the lining has begun to fluff up and loosen quite a bit. I may consider filling it with large bark chips as another method of expansion encouragement. The basket lining itself does still retain moisture but can be dry by the end of the day. I agree with your soaking method, and have done similar with this plant.
With this type of coconut fiber, if using as a mount I would probably give it a wrap in some nylon thread or fine wire (just to counteract the fluffing), if I were to use it as a mounting material proper.

stevek wrote:
I have to decline your kind offer at the moment :( , due to the perennial space problems but will keep it in mind, maybe there will be something I have which you are interested in and we could do a swap? Also because I already have a similar plant but with a flush of pink (Jairak Doll) which I’m concerned may become a monster and take over my log mount, two of them would leave me less room for other plants and what with the London Show and all its Goodies coming up soon :dance: ?,........ but I will watch your cattleyas progress with interest.

Now worries, I know a few people who will take one when it comes time ;)
Sorry to say, but Cattleyas seem to take over mounts no matter how large it may be. Speaking from my own experience and comments from other growers. Saw a Bark slab larger than a door in a florist, nothing on it at the time - but I thought to myself "now that would make an awesome Cattleya mount". For now though I may just stick to potting Catts.

I be sure to update as appropriate - even if disaster strikes :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:19 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 89 posts
My nearest city or region is: Vale Royal
My hardiness zone is: 8b
You seem to be doing ok with your Catts Michelle.
I'm not doing so good with my one( aclandiae) I had it mounted , then potted, it's just not playin cricket. if ya want it I'll post it ya for free.
Barnie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 pm 

Thanks Barnie.
Yes not doing too bad with this one, but as always thinking "could do better!" ;)
That's awfully generous of you, and yes if you are offering! :shock: :D
Though I reserve the right to send you something in return - Only fair! Even if it's a painting/sketch of your favorite Orchid - may have to wait a while for a plant division. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:27 pm 

Michele V wrote:
Saw a Bark slab larger than a door in a florist, nothing on it at the time - but I thought to myself "now that would make an awesome Cattleya mount". For now though I may just stick to potting Catts.

That slab of bark wouldn't be there now if I'd seen it :shock: , very difficult to find large pieces, I thought I was very lucky to get my piece below which is about 5ft/1.5m long.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1646.JPG
DSCF1646.JPG [ 382.45 KiB | Viewed 1330 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 am 

Steve,
That's a nice piece!
For your future reference, I saw the door+ size in a Flourist, was not for sale (Display Piece) and the assistant couldn't say where it came from :( But you may have better luck if you come across similar in the future. Someone must have supplied it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 pm 

Michele V wrote:
Steve,
That's a nice piece!
For your future reference, I saw the door+ size in a Flourist, was not for sale (Display Piece) and the assistant couldn't say where it came from :( But you may have better luck if you come across similar in the future. Someone must have supplied it.

Thanks Michelle, I'll pay more attention to shop displays from now on, I guess that Florist will want to change its display sometime in the future and will want to get rid of that bark?
Shame its not more local.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 am 

Steve,
I wish I knew, been a while since I popped into that florists (There's a more pleasant and more reasonably priced one less than 2 streets away). But you're right, it's one way to get things as shops will just chuck stuff and if you speak nicely with them they'll often let you take what they're going to throw out. :)

Update
Well two of the three bud sheaths produced, one sheath producing 4 buds the other 3. Four of which are now open, though tricky to get a pic of all four, you can just see the fourth bloom pocking out behind the rest. This will actually the best blooming from this orchid thus far, so I can only hope for even better next year.

Attachments:
Ctt-int-v-c-2017041809295102.jpg
Ctt-int-v-c-2017041809295102.jpg [ 820.84 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am 

Liked in: 393 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Congratulations on such a good blooming Michele, it is looking very impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm 

Very nice indeed Michele :clap: , I love the subtle, delicate, pastel colours.

Strangely enough, I re-mounted mine yesterday because it hasn't flowered yet, trying it in a bit brighter light, it must be reasonably happy because I noticed it's producing 2 new canes, so now I've only got to get the little blighter to flower now.

Well done with yours !

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm 

Thank you :D It is nice when one of the plants decides to reward your efforts.
All but one bloom is open now, but will pop back with a picture when they are all present and correct... if I can get a good shot.

Steve,
Hope it rewards you sooner rather than later. Did you remount it on the mount pictured above?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 pm 

Michele V wrote:
Steve,
Did you remount it on the mount pictured above?

Hi Michele,

No, the other way around, I took it off the large mount (above) and gave it a smaller one of its own.
Its quite a dense little grower and thought it may get 'swamped' as other plants mature and start encroaching on it?
It also means it now gets its own individual treatment which may help with the flowering.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 am 

Steve, you'll have to let us know how it goes :)

And.... Good Morning All!
I will be having trouble getting on with work today, as the distraction is now fully open.

Attachments:
Ctt-int-v-c-2017042107433601.jpg
Ctt-int-v-c-2017042107433601.jpg [ 739.24 KiB | Viewed 1101 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm 

Michele V wrote:
the distraction is now fully open.

And what a distraction too, it looks almost staged!
A great number of flowers (on such a small plant) and great timing that they should all open together.
All in all, a smashing little plant.

Very well flowered Michele !

Steve