The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Complete newbie - watering in the UK?
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:02 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London
My hardiness zone is: Hard

Hi all,

I was recently gifted this orchid that I think is a Phalaenopsis (correct me if I'm wrong - used pictures to ID). I live in London, UK, where the water is fairly hard I think, and so was wondering whether a brand of bottled water would be better to use when watering? Or would they contain too much sodium? I picked up a bottle of Volvic which has 12 mg/L of Sodium, not sure how that is.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 384 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
I would like to answer your question knowledgeably but I simply do not know what London water is like. Although I use rain water almost all of the time for my plants it would not worry me to use tap water, particularly on a Phal. I would not use bottled water though, because of the cost and mineral content of some brands.

Can you somehow get a little rain water. If so you could use tap water most of the time and about once a month use the rain water to help wash out any salt deposit building up in the pot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 178 posts
My hardiness zone is: 9a
I use London tapwater - it's fine :)

• Email me for site admin issues
• Orchid inspiration (random images from this site for viewing and discussion)
• Orchid growlist | • Orchid wishlist
• Carnivorous plant growlist

Seeking: Aristolochia cathcartii, Encephalartos inopinus, Passiflora incarnata, P. tucumanensis (seeds) Lobelia gloria-montis, L. villosa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:32 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

great, thanks! I may set something up to get some rain water in the future but for now I'll go with tap water. poor thing looks parched, time to show some care..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:15 pm 
Starting to put down roots here
Starting to put down roots here

Liked in: 30 posts
When I lived in London I found the water was fine for my orchids. Just as a precaution I made sure I drew a bucket of water as fiercely as possible causing bubbles, then let it stand for a few hours to allow chlorine etc to disappear. Of course, at this time of year the tap water is very cold so do let it get to room temperature before watering.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:19 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

orchidman wrote:
When I lived in London I found the water was fine for my orchids. Just as a precaution I made sure I drew a bucket of water as fiercely as possible causing bubbles, then let it stand for a few hours to allow chlorine etc to disappear. Of course, at this time of year the tap water is very cold so do let it get to room temperature before watering.

I'll try to follow the way you did it.

Would it be fine to use a mixed tap and water it with lukewarm water by mixing some hot water with the cold? Or should I just stick to cold like I would for drinking and let it warm up a bit?

Also - and sorry for all the questions, but I've never looked after a plant before and I'm determined to do it right! - when I've watered my orchid I've noticed that bits of the compost come out the holes in the bottom of the pot along with the water every time. Surely if this continues then eventually all the compost will be gone as it's draining out along with the water. Should I be replacing the compost a bit each time? Or am I watering it wrong?

Thanks so much for the help! I've read around on google but there's no substitute for direct answers.