The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Which orchids are these?
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Which orchids are these?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:50 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 2 posts
I live in: Finland • Suomi
My nearest city or region is: Tampere
Hello all!

I am a n00b and would like to seek guidance in identifying my butterfly orchids. :)

The purple one I think is Sogo Vivien, but I could be mistaken. The second one -- two pictures of it -- might be Vanda Tang See Hang, but I am very uncertain about that. The third is totally unknown to me. Hopefully someone can help me identify these beauties. :)

Attachments:
ork1.jpg
ork1.jpg [ 111.13 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
ork2.jpg
ork2.jpg [ 36.72 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
ork3.jpg
ork3.jpg [ 35.07 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
ork4.jpg
ork4.jpg [ 86.16 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Orchid Molly likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
They are all phalaenopsis orchids. I don't see a Vanda there. As to what hybrids they are it is anyone's guess. If it was not sold with a name it is probably an unregistered hybrid.

Vanda flowers are very similar in shape to phalaenopsis but the plants themselves look very different. If you Google both names you will see what I mean.

And welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Thanks for your reply. :)

I can see now Vanda flowers are more round.

But OK, so there is such a thing as an unregistered hybrid. I did not know that. That's kind of a shame. It would have been nice to know what phals I have to satisfy my curiosity and to better learn how to take care of them. I admit: it bothers me that I don't know what flowers I have in my home. :D

My guesstimation is that a lot of the phals sold in Finland are imported from The Netherlands.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:52 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 374 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Hi Potku,

Unless you buy directly from a Nursery offering named species or hybrids, you don't stand much chance of positively identifying your hybrid, particularly phalaenopsis as there are so many hybrids with many looking very similar to others that you could never be certain you have found the right one.

Most Garden/ DIY shops are notorious for lack of details from their suppliers, you might get one with a label stating "Cambria" which could be any colour or cross of at least 3 different species.
Once I bought a Garden Centre hybrid and I suppose I was lucky to even get a label which stated it was an "Orchid Plant", no mention of what type of orchid ?
Fortunately I knew what type it was so knew what conditions to give it, and this is the important thing if you are new to orchids, for instance if you thought your white phalaenopsis was a Vanda and gave it the high light/sun loving conditions which Vandas like, your plant would soon suffer as phalaenopsis are lower light growers.

As long as you know what type of plant you have to know what conditions to give it to keep it happy, that's the important thing, a name would be nice but for me not the end of the world if un-named, it will still be the same flower which attracted me to it, name or no name ?

Steve

rowbow likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:13 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

stevek, thanks for your reply. :)

OK, it works like that then... Hmm, I guess I can understand that. And if you pay 5-10 euros for an orchid, I guess you get what you pay for. Two of those I bought from Ikea and one (the middle one) from a local grocery store.

Other than not really knowing how to care for an unbranded orchid, what are the downsides with these orchid that are labelled only Phalaenopsis?

I have noticed the middle one has dropped a couple of buds in about as many days, but I think I should continue about that in another forum here. I am just saying that as a possible example of the difficulties with not knowing enough about a particular orchid (or any other plant, for that matter).

rowbow likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:46 pm 

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Potku wrote:

Other than not really knowing how to care for an unbranded orchid, what are the downsides with these orchid that are labelled only Phalaenopsis? .

You do not really need to know the registered name of a phalaenopsis to look after it. It's a phalaenopsis so you treat it as such. As to upsides and downsides of unregistered plants the only real downside is you don't know it's breeding and as you get more into the hobby that could be important to you. The upside is that mass produced unnamed plants are cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:08 pm 

Liked in: 275 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
A good place to start on the first photo of the white and yellow one would be Phalaenopsis philippinensis (?)
The second one I will have to look through some photos, as I remember its a Taiwan hybrid.

The philippinensis has been used to produce many hybrids, and the differences are poorly or not at all documented, So you must take in consideration things like color, texture, size, blooming period to compare it to the many philippinensis hybrids to get closer to a true name.

View us at ocrcchina.com

rowbow likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:11 am 
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings

Liked in: 38 posts
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
The good thing about hybrid Phalaenopsis is that you can treat them all exactly the same and they tend to be tough, robust plants that will perform well in less than ideal conditions. Plus they're cheap so it doesn't matter if you make mistakes as they are easily replaced. They are a very good start to the hobby before trying some of the ostensibly more difficult types (though very few are actually difficult - most of the art of growing orchids is getting the conditions right). Think of it as a way to gauge your conditions.

Also, welcome to the forum !

http://www.kevsorchids.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:57 am 

Liked in: 374 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Potku wrote:
I have noticed the middle one has dropped a couple of buds in about as many days.

I don't know why but this does seem most likely to happen when a phal in bud has a sudden change of environment which we may not even notice (from shop to home).
It has happened to me a few times and tends to be the smaller, maybe more delicate/sensitive buds............. :? the first sign is a paling of the bud colour and once that happens there is no saving it.

But the good news is that the next flowering should be okay with no bud loss at all.

Steve

rowbow likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 pm 

Liked in: 275 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
Try looking at;
Phal philipinense 'Highjack'
and
Dtps Yu Pin Lucky 'Laure'