The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Masdevallia flower spikes keep aborting
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 15 posts
My nearest city or region is: London
I have only 2 Masdevallia which I have been growing partly as an experiment. I don't have a greenhouse and therefore have been growing them next to a frosted window in my bathroom. Currently, one of them (an Ignea) is producing several flower spikes but a few of them have died prior to the flower fully developing let alone opening. I have several further spikes developing but so far none have actually flowered. I had the same problem with the other plant earlier this year although a small number of flowers did eventually develop on that plant. Can anyone suggest why this might be happening. Many thanks in anticipation.

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:05 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

I live in: Ireland • Éire
My nearest city or region is: Dublin
Hi John. I have a Masdevallia ignea which grows outside nearly all year. It's generally a spring bloomer, and very particular about temperature - all the info I have on these says they are cold growers, and I can attest to how much mine hates rises in temp. Do you know what temperature your bathroom is? My guess is that you need to put it somewhere cooler.

phraggy likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:00 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Thank you Natalie. I was aware that these plants like cool conditions, but what does that mean in practice in our summers? The reality is that most of the rooms in my house get quite warm during the summer months, so keeping plants cool can be quite difficult. My bathroom is north facing, but despite that I know the temperature can rise to quite high levels, so you are quite likely to be right in your diagnosis. However, the reason for keeping the plants in that room is the humidity, but perhaps the temperature is more of an issue this time of year. I hadn't thought of keeping them outside, but this definitely sounds worth trying. Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll give it a go in a shady location. John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:58 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Hi John. Apologies, I should've given you a temperature range. In summer, my outdoor Masdies generally get temps of around 22C during the day and it can go as low as 13C at night. In winter it's around 10C during the day and can go all the way down to 1 or 2C. They don't seem to suffer for it at all, but my balcony is quite enclosed so does not get excessive wind or frost. They also sit under an overhang which means that they never get direct sunlight. I would imagine that the humidity in London doesn't go too far below 50%? As long as you keep them well watered, and in a shady, sheltered spot with no direct sunlight, they should be quite happy outside. In contrast, I know my apartment, unheated, sits at a constant 24-25C - I would start to see leaf drop from my cool-growing Masdies within a day if I brought them inside.

OldConkerwood likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:32 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Hi Natalie, that's perfect, I understand now so thank you very much. I think I have a suitable outdoor location, so I'll give it a go.
Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:23 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

I hope they like their new spot and you get some blooms!