The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Pleurothallis bifalce
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pleurothallis bifalce
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:03 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 368 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Realising a while ago I seem to have a lot of white orchids or orchids with a white background, I went to the London Show repeating the mantra "No more Whites, No more Whites" to myself.
You can't get less white than this, it's one of the plants I would not normally have looked at or chosen but only got it because of the lack of choice of anything else.
Now I have it, I'm glad I did, it looks very striking against a light background and contrasts well with the white, yellow or orange flowered orchids.
The only problem is, I haven't been a pleuro grower so if the are any experts out there ???
Googling it's name returns hardly an results for its culture and will keep showing dendrobium falcate.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1715.JPG
DSCF1715.JPG [ 380.89 KiB | Viewed 33097 times ]

3 people like this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:33 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 393 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Steve I know nothing about this plant but looking it up on OrchidWiz would suggest that it is pleurothallis bifalcis (rather than bifalce). This may give better Googling results. Unfortunately OW does not give any other useful info.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:31 pm 

cricketerry wrote:
Steve I know nothing about this plant

Hi Terry, that makes two of us then.......... :lol:

cricketerry wrote:
but looking it up on OrchidWiz would suggest that it is pleurothallis bifalcis (rather than bifalce).

I googled bifalcis but none of the the images resemble that black colouring, also allowed for variations due to bad hand-writing by the Vendors of which I've had a few experiences.
Bought a dendrobium on sight from the Show, got it home Preview evening and spent all night trying to decipher what type of dendro it was, I just could not make out the word/handwriting. Went back the following day and looked for clearer writing on others, there was, it was Dendrobium hybrid. ! :roll:

cricketerry wrote:
Unfortunately OW does not give any other useful info.

Not much of a Wiz then if it hasn't got the info ?
I won't lose any sleep over it so I'll just give it the generic treatment for pleuros.

Thanks for looking Terry !

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:54 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 22 posts
My nearest city or region is: West Yorkshire
I'm no expert, or even beginner, with this plant but I would suggest that it looks like some kind of Masdie/Drac throwback. I would start there.

Soft (looking) leaves and no obvious water storage (PB's). My guess would be to try growing it as an 'intermediate'* Masdie.

*All relative - 10-20C?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:49 am 

HUD357 wrote:
My guess would be to try growing it as an 'intermediate'* Masdie. All relative - 10-20C?

Thank you HUD357, that sounds like good advice to me.........

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:29 am 

Liked in: 61 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lancashire
Got my curiosity up so did a bit of looking too. A potential Wish List candidate from me. After looking around, I think it may be Pleurothallis macrophylla (official name now?) aka Stelis macrophylla aka Pleurothallis roezlii.
I could be completely wrong though.
http://www.orchidspecies.com/pleuromacrophylla.htm
http://plantillustrations.org/species.p ... ies=974316
http://plantillustrations.org/volume.ph ... &compare=0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:19 pm 

Hi Michele !

I don't know how you found all those links but glad you did because I had trouble finding much and gave up, so thanks for those.
Searched on all its various names, I quite like the results for Pleurothallis macrophylla.
It seems to be quite a shy, elusive plant as far as the internet is concerned when trying to find consistent looking photos or details, some varying from slightly to totally different colouring.
It was discussed on a Forum and the Poster was asked if they had a photo but no result.
Surprised to find it on Burnhams website all along but still no photo or cultural details !

This plant is definitely trying to stay out of the spotlight.

No worries, I know what it looks like, now just let's see if I can keep it going ?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:12 pm 

I had the advantage when looking of knowing what not to look for from your earlier comments and fresh legs so to speak ;)
Decided to try an image search for "Pleurothallis Dark Red Black", that led me to find the third link which I thought was a striking potential for a match, and from there the other two. Details, like you say, seem hard to narrow down. Though I still maintain I could be completely wrong, such are the realms of Orchid Identification at times.

Would love to know how it goes with this plant and I may just have to get one from Burnhams in the future, which I noted is sold under the name "Pleurothallis roezlii". If I do and have success flowering it, I will be sure to come back and post a picture for comparison.

All the best with growing it, here's hoping it gives you many years of successful flowering!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:38 am 

Michele V wrote:
I had the advantage when looking of knowing what not to look for from your earlier comments and fresh legs so to speak ;)

Would love to know how it goes with this plant and I may just have to get one from Burnhams in the future, which I noted is sold under the name "Pleurothallis roezlii". If I do and have success flowering it, I will be sure to come back and post a picture for comparison.

Hi Michele,

........and you can't beat a pair of fresh legs :?

"Buyer Beware"...I've just studied mine in the light, looking for shades of purple which could be giving it that "black" look, but all I can see is pure black.
If you are interested in and expect this colour if you order from Burnhams, I would be concerned about their description of "deep red, bell like flowers", add that description to some of the returns on the Google search (sample link below) and I'd be concerned what colour the flower would turn out to be ?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pleur ... QSZCdpM%3A

Other than that, if mine survives and prospers I will be able to send you a piece (at least you'll know what shade you'd be getting ?).

Steve

(I got mine from the "Kopf Orchideen" stall at The Show.)

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:08 pm 

Thanks for the warning over colour variations Steve, the Orchid Supplier name drop, and the potential offer of sending a piece. Now I'm definitely hoping it survives :lol:
Though if it does get to that stage I would like to send something in return, as a fair exchange is no robbery :)
So if my Masdevallia Measuresianna or Porroglossum meridionale survive, get big enough to divide, and you would like a piece, then you can have first refusal. Currently they are my only two Pleurothallids, though not to be the last.

Having looked at the link you provided, I am now starting to think that the roezlii name on this pleurothallis is usually found more in the darker forms of this flower. Strange that you can only see black tones, when I looked at your picture closer I can see dark reds and dark purple tones (almost black). I guess it's true what they say about different people seeing different colours! If you adjust the brightness and contrast (perhaps 40/20 or 60/30) on a copy of your photo, you may see the base colour or pigment, as most of what people see as black in nature is just a dark form of red, blue or green (usually).
http://globalorchids.info/abc/soort.php?soortid=3753 This one is very similar in tone to yours!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:20 pm 

Hi Michele,

I’ve noticed Pleuros in the past but never bought them as it was a different species to learn about, mostly not ideal for my warm conditions and my space & time was already taken up with various other species (vandaceous, dendros, aerangis, angraecum etc) so I felt I didn’t need another species.
It was only due to the lack of plants at the recent London Show that I was forced to look at other things I wouldn’t normally look at just to make up a reasonable haul of plants. Bifalce/macrophyllum/roezli was one of them, the other was…… Porroglossum meridionale :shock: and attached is its entry in my Orchid database to prove it, bought on 1st. April (I hope that date isn’t ominous?).

Regarding the “black” colour, I see no other colour except black so I think this is an example of that recent “Black dress or Gold dress?” phenomenon……or I’m just going blind !

Steve

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 157.3 KiB | Viewed 32436 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:34 am 

Small world, and I'm sure the date isn't too ominous! :lol: Only bought mine a couple of weeks before you, and my Porroglossum is very much smaller than that lovely specimen, also not in bloom! May have to compare notes in the future, I have been informed that they enjoy Phal light and are among the easier "Starter Plearos".

You have more courage than me, buying new and different ones just to make up the haul! Pleauros are something I have been interested in, but a little daunted by. But because my collection is so small at the moment, I enjoy to learn, and the vendor was very informative, I have taken the risk. From what I have been reading up on, air movement is especially key to these types as it provides that bit extra cooling, and as yours already seems to be in a very nice set up you should be ok.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 pm 

Michele V wrote:
my Porroglossum is very much smaller than that lovely specimen

Hi Michele,

I have to admit before I get slapped with a breach of Copyright, that the Porroglossum photo is not my plant but a photo downloaded from the Internet :o
My small specimen only has two flowers but that was enough to get my interest to buy it, I expect it will look like the one in the photo very soon ??? :?
I'm notorious for removing labels from my plants so always log them in my database with a picture, the bulk of them I remember anyway but there are always one or two of the obscure specimens that I need a reminder.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:41 pm 

Michele V wrote:
.....my Porroglossum is very much smaller than that lovely specimen, also not in bloom! May have to compare notes in the future

Hi Michele,

You may have to start making those notes now, it might be a well known fact amongst seasoned Pleuro growers that they reflower from old stalks ?
I'm not a Pleuro grower and have cut all my old flowering spikes off but for some reason :? I left the last one on, watering today I noticed a small "bump" has developed at the end of this old spike.
It looks pretty much like the start of a new bud, I've taken one of my "dodgy" blurry photos which I will either post later or wait until it gets a bit bigger to get a better photo.

So the Note would be, not to cut the old spikes back (I wish I knew that before I did!)

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 am 

Thanks Steve, good to know though may be a while before mine is ready to bloom :)
Good luck with the photos!
Two links that have been a little useful to me (though you've probably already seen them). The second give details of where it can be found in the wild.
http://www.aos.org/orchids/orchids-a-to ... ossum.aspx
http://www.pleurothallids.com/index.php ... &Itemid=58

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:41 am 

Thanks for the Links Michele, some straightforwatd cultural tips there, I especially liked the following quote "with their successively flowering habit are almost always in full bloom." and hope that proves to be the case.

I saw a photo of Lepanthes calodictyon on the 2nd Link, another plant I bought this year, tiny insignicant flowers (looking a lot like insects) but bought solely for its interesting foliage.
I know I said I wasn't a Pleuro grower but I seen to have more than I thought because Lepanthes telepogoniflora a favourite little plant of mine is just re-starting to flower after a recent move.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:37 am 

It's always nice to get the straight forward cultural tips, though I have also started looking for images of specific plants natural habitats as often you can get a better idea of how the culture notes (when there are any) work or can work in practice. If you haven't already, for the Porroglossum I would do an image search for: Peru cloud forest.

Nice couple of Lepanthes, congratulations on the new bloom too.
:lol: Doubling your pleuro collections without even realising, that's the way to go!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:06 am 

stevek wrote:
Hi Michele,
You may have to start making those notes now, it might be a well known fact amongst seasoned Pleuro growers that they reflower from old stalks ?
I'm not a Pleuro grower and have cut all my old flowering spikes off but for some reason :? I left the last one on, watering today I noticed a small "bump" has developed at the end of this old spike.
It looks pretty much like the start of a new bud, I've taken one of my "dodgy" blurry photos which I will either post later or wait until it gets a bit bigger to get a better photo.
Steve

Exactly one month on after the above Post and Porroglossum meridionale can or does flower from old stalks as shown in the attached photo, a new bud developing now but of course kicking myself for cutting off all the other old stems. :roll:

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1745.JPG
DSCF1745.JPG [ 357.75 KiB | Viewed 12701 times ]