The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Worth re-potting, or am I being paranoid!?
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 61 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Lancashire
So I got a Prgm. meridionale, and Masd. Measuresiana last month, 19th March 2016, both from the same vendor and for the most part all is well.

Until yesterday when I found some nasty mark on the Porroglossum leaf, thinking it may be bacterial because of the greyness to the small sunken patch I took no risks and reluctantly removed the offending leaf (luckily an older leaf). It was moments after I removed the leaf that I spied a stowaway baby slug emerging from the mix and dealt with the pest immediately (about 0.5 cm in size).

Checked both plants last night before bed, and again early this morning. Only been a day, no more slugs yet but that doesn’t mean more wont emerge within the next couple of weeks.

Yet I was starting to wonder is it worth me removing the Porroglossum, or both plants, from their pots and checking the mix for any other unwanted slimy inhabitants or their eggs? Then re-potting them in the same or newer mix?
Or
Just continue with the morning and evening checks for now?

The Masdevallia is much larger in growth and has plenty of new leaf shoots. The Porroglossum is now down one leaf but had produced a healthy new leaf whilst with me, though no signs of any other new growth just yet. Currently out of all but Sphagnum Moss for potting mix, but was planning to get some more supplies soon, supplies including a good pest spray.

Advice gratefully accepted.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
File comment: Prgm. meridionale
Prgm-meridionale-20160421-223002.jpg
Prgm-meridionale-20160421-223002.jpg [ 356.82 KiB | Viewed 16270 times ]
File comment: Masd. Measuresiana
Masd-Measuresiana-20160421-223220.jpg
Masd-Measuresiana-20160421-223220.jpg [ 361.73 KiB | Viewed 16270 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:15 am 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 410 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
If you stand the pots in water up to the rim for 30 mins or so any live slugs will come out of the compost and either climb up the plant or float off. This probably will not kill any eggs, although I would think it is a bit early in the season for eggs to be around.

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:37 am 

Thank you Terry, good tip that makes a lot of sense!
Will give it a go today :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:07 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
cricketerry wrote:
If you stand the pots in water up to the rim for 30 mins or so any live slugs will come out of the compost and either climb up the plant or float off. This probably will not kill any eggs, although I would think it is a bit early in the season for eggs to be around.

Hi Michele/Terry,

I can vouch for this method, works with snails too, discovered it accidentally whilst watering my pots over a bucket.

Left an old dendrobium Noid in the bucket, water level was a bit above the top of the compost, went to take it out of the bucket and noticed several of those small orchid snails racing (in as far as a snail can race) up the dendro canes ready to be picked off.

No chemicals involved, plant gets a good soaking but you have to give it a bit of time to allow them to climb their way up.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:23 am 

Liked in: 459 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
Hi Michele. I don't know anything about masdies or pleuro's so can't help you on this point. I'm not bothered with slugs or snails ( yet ) the only pest which plagues me are woodlice and they're a devil to get rid of ( if it's possible!!) every time I repot a plant these critters are always there.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 pm 

Well they've just had about up to an hours soak and so far no more devilish denizens have made themselves apparent, so looking good. Drained off now, the plants are luckily indoors at the moment, so that should hopefully be it. Just that one little critter from yesterday.

Thanks Steve, for the secondary confirmation. Must admit made total sense after I read it, so much so that I berated myself for not considering it sooner! :lol:
One of my usual methods for culling the slimy devils it getting a bucket of boiling water and doing a hunt. Easy, affordable and no potential harm to more welcome garden visitors. The cooked dead pests I think make a good treat for birds, once they've cooled down of course.
Used Coffee grounds are great for creating a ring around plants, slugs and snails just wont cross the barrier. Great for standard gardens plants, but reluctant to try this with orchids.

phraggy wrote:
Hi Michele. I don't know anything about masdies or pleuro's so can't help you on this point. I'm not bothered with slugs or snails ( yet ) the only pest which plagues me are woodlice and they're a devil to get rid of ( if it's possible!!) every time I repot a plant these critters are always there.

Ed

Sorry to hear that Ed, had a look at the RHS link concerning woodlice, seems now would be the best time to deal with them as it's the time when the females have their eggs. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=723
I think you keep your greenhouse tidy enough, but there's always the option of getting a pet Toad or two! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:37 pm 

Liked in: 400 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
I have had slugs and snail's laying eggs through out the autumn winter and spring in the nursery and we have no heat.
I would lay slug trap or use pellets in the greenhouse there are p.o. on the market that won't kill any other animal if they eat them.
I have problems with woodlice to but I am looking into what's best not much on the market apart form powered for woodlice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm 

blondie wrote:
I have had slugs and snail's laying eggs through out the autumn winter and spring in the nursery and we have no heat.
I would lay slug trap or use pellets in the greenhouse there are p.o. on the market that won't kill any other animal if they eat them.

True, slug pellets should not cause much problems to other animals when used correctly, I just find it cheaper, quicker and easier to use things like beer traps, coffee grounds, boiling water and kill them myself. There was a slug and snail boom a while back, tons of the blighters, would have gone broke using slug pellets.

No problem with most pesticides (everything is chemical after all), especially when pesticides in UK and Europe are usually thoroughly tested. Advancement in targeting certain pests have come a long way over the past few decades.

blondie wrote:
I have problems with woodlice to but I am looking into what's best not much on the market apart form powered for woodlice.

Get a Toad! :lol:
More seriously though, may be difficult to find a truly good woodlice pesticide. I know that flea-treatments have to be updated, as those pests develop immunity to the products out there over time. It may be that woodlice have similar capabilities of adaptation, in which case that would partially explain why they are so difficult to kill, chemically speaking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:00 pm 

And after doing a bit of reading on various pest control methods, I found something that said I shouldn't use Coffee Grounds anymore :crazy:
Reading the reports it just seems like one of those things where basically if it hasn't been officially tested yet then it's technically illegal as pesticide or pest deterrent. Yet apparently there's no problem with shoving it on the compost heap. Although it may just be one of those ridiculous stories that someones just gone and made assumptions on and gone off an anti-euro media scare campaign (not a political statement, just an observation of context and language used in the reports), seeing as most of the reports on it are Media based and other Organic promoting garden sites swear by Coffee grounds... Why is it so hard to find truly Scientifically Based Data!?
Reports
http://www.independent.co.uk/property/g ... 81384.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/95 ... w-RHS.html
Organic gardening sites
http://www.askorganic.co.uk/organicgardening/slugs.htm

All technicalities and little else. But I'll just let you guys decide for yourselves. Seriously doubt any gardener is suddenly going to get done for using old coffee grounds as slug repellents, especially if it's fine to put it on your compost heap! :roll:

Notes:
May not work on all slug species, but it has worked for the ones in my garden. Made pretty slug trails that looked like a Spirograph around the coffee ring.
Used Coffee grounds will not "kill" slugs, only deter them.
Is it it really "Illegal"? Without going through reams of law papers, I think it's just a technicality and if ever a case is taken to court it would probably be accounted for and rectified at the end of the case. Most likely to the benefit of the Coffee user.

.... I think I'll just make a pond and adopt a frog, or a toad! ;)