The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Pest and diseases how to deal with them.
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 399 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
Hi

Hope everyone one has had a lovely Christmas and holidays.

I thought see as there are more and more products being removed from the market these days. That is would be a good time to start a thread that every one can use as reference and add to what to do when they have a problem with there orchids.

I am very lucky in the fact that as a professional and having my chemical licence, I am able to buy chemicals that are not on the General market. Yet a lot of these are going as well. And the Mar or is being push to proventative and not curative measures.

So this is what I do in my collection and use all this stuff is open to anyone to buy.

Slugs and snail's, I use organic slug and snail pellets for my orchids and garden.

All other insects I use a mix of pyrethrum (py) or an plant invigerator, and other soft soaps. As all all the chemicals are going to be removed and as for the ultimate bug killer there are a few pests that have evolved and it dosent kill, also it is going to be having a full recipe change so it can be but on the market.

Virus plants I throw away I will not keep them, not worth the risk.

Fungal rots and bacterial rots, I use a combination here its what ever I pick up weather it is cinnamon powder or sulphur. I know a few people dont use sulphur these days but is still very effective. Also I make use all my instroments are disinfected between plants and infected material with a anit bacterial spray.

Root rot I use cut out all the infected material dust with cinnamon or sulphur powder. If the roots are I a vet bad way or none at all then I pot in fresh or live sphagnum moss, but even the dried sphagnum moss re-wetted has worked just as well. If there is still a good root system then I will just repot in to few medium.

Leaf fungus I use are regualr fungal chemical to kill the fungus. But for how long for I don't know as they are getting few and fewer.

Root fungus aka rhizoctonia which i had to deal with this year, there is no long he anything on the market for this as the only chemical has been removed, you can only use a proventative treatment. The fungus will not kill your plant but you will have horrible markings in the leafs and the fungus is transferred through water. So water separately and disinfect every thing after use with any plant that has it.

Bacterial rots have nothing for it as the chemicals have gone and there seems to be nothing on the organic market. So anyone that has something that works please do add.

I can't stress enough how good hygiene in growing is so important, whether that is tools pots being cleaned and sterilized. Also any new plant should always be quarantined, to make sure they are clean.

I think I have cover nearly everything if I haven't please do add to thread with your findings and experiance .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:31 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 31 posts
Good to see you using Sulphur. I have been using that for very many years. for me it is very effective on rots, and whenever I divide a plant or cut in any way I always dust with sulphur as a preventative. Even cutting a leaf tip I dust the wound. If used on top of plants it has the advantage that it can be seen easily for observation of the problem. Whereas cinnamon might smell nice one can lose track of the original problem very easily.
The use of sulphur was taught to me by my grandmother way back in the 1950's when she started me on a cactus collection. When propagating cactus plants, especially those with long very moist "arms" I would cut off anywhere, dust with sulphur, leave for a week or so to dry then plant - hey presto new plant.
Likewise these days if I see rot on a pseudobulb I cut away to clean tissue, dust with sulphur and it seals beautifully.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:26 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Blondie, it's very good of you to write such a detailed post on dealing with problems with plants. I too use Sulphur, and I had mine when that is how it was spelt rather than sulfur which is used today. Can you still buy it? Mine came from a school chemistry lab many years ago!

I must say that the lack of good systemic insecticides does worry me as once an infestation takes hold it is very difficult to eradicate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 pm 

Liked in: 31 posts
Yes, Terry, Sulphur is still available. They have it at our garden centre, but I know that Keith Kent sells it at Orchid Supplies.UK.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:09 pm 

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
orchidman wrote:
Yes, Terry, Sulphur is still available. They have it at our garden centre, but I know that Keith Kent sells it at Orchid Supplies.UK.
Richard

Thanks Richard, my supply is getting a bit low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:47 pm 

Liked in: 399 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
Well I do hope other people will add to this with how they deal with problems so there is somewhere, for people to refere to in general