The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Problem with orchid
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with orchid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:20 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 2 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Horsham
Hi I'm new to this forum and new to orchids and I'm worried about one of my mine so am hoping someone can shed some light on the problem. I'd be very grateful for any help you can give. I have 3 orchids co-habiting on my windowsil. It is SW facing and gets very hot so in the recent hot days - few though they have been - I have been moving them away from the window as I was concerned about scorching especially after the one in question appeared to get badly scorched. It had a lovely shiny new leaf but I came home from a few days away to discover it was, I assumed, burnt to a crisp :( I removed the leaf assuming it had no future. Another leaf (the one produced prior to the new one) had similar damage but in a patch so I left it. This week, about 6 wks after the previous horror, I noticed the other burnt leaf was starting to go soft and crinkly. I cut away the burnt bit but then discovered it was dying at the base so removed it completely. I then discovered that the centre, under it, was black! The hole was full of what looked like powdered charcoal, black and grey. I'm a bit alarmed especially after reading about a fungus that attacks orchids and turns them black so have moved it away from its friends and am hoping for expert advice from this forum. Can anyone tell me what the problem is, if it is transferable and what to do about it? The plant still looks very healthy otherwise with flowers and 2 older remaining leaving. Thank you.
[album][/album]

Attachments:
File comment: General view of orchid
20150816_140726.jpg
20150816_140726.jpg [ 121.75 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]
File comment: The partial damaged leaf after I cut the 'burnt' bit off
20150816_140802.jpg
20150816_140802.jpg [ 98 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]
File comment: The black centre of the plant
20150816_140705.jpg
20150816_140705.jpg [ 131.07 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]
File comment: The blackened base of the leaf
20150816_140825.jpg
20150816_140825.jpg [ 79.39 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]

Post subject: Re: Problem with orchid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:29 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
You would appear to have had two problems with this plant. The sunburn you have diagnosed for yourself. The second problem, where the leaves have come away from the plant, looks to me like crown rot. This usually occurs when water gets trapped in the crown of the plant and rot sets in. To stop this from happening you must take care not to let water hit the crown when watering, or to get it out of the crown if this happens.

The one reservation I have about my diagnosis is that, from your picture, the crown looks to have a dry rot and I would have expected something with a more watery appearance.

Whatever type of rot it is the prognosis is the same. The plant will either start a new growth from the side of the plant or it will gradually die as it looses its remaining leaves.

Putting some powdered cinnamon in the crown may help control the existing rot.

JulesA likes this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:03 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 2 posts
My nearest city or region is: Horsham
Hi Terry,
Thanks very much for your response and tips. I hope it manages the side shoot option - would hate to watch it die a slow death, it is the most vigerous of my 3 orchids. I suspect the water got in there when I was spraying it. I know they like to be sprayed so was trying to do so but suspect the water rolled down the leaves and sat in the crown. Definitely a case of learning the hard way :-(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:25 pm 

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
I don't usually spray mine at all unless there are obvious aerial roots that I can spray without getting water on the p!ant.

And you can be sure that most of us who have grown phals will have lost at least one to crown rot!

JulesA likes this post.