The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - About to buy a small green house - set up tips appreciated.
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 46 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Bournemouth
I'm hoping to win a 6x8 greenhouse on ebay today. It doesn't come with any staging, just the greenhouse itself - so a blank canvas.

Unfortunately, I am restricted as to where it can go. The only spot I have for it is on the east side of my garden, tucked behind the end of the garage and with a hedge on the adjacent short side. No other significant trees / shade around. Is this a non starter?

I hope to keep orchids and tillandsia in it, many mounted or hanging, partly to save space.

Any tips on set up? Heating / furniture etc?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:48 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 453 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
Doesn't really matter where you put the greenhouse. If it gets morning sun-- that's fine. If it gets too much in the afternoon you can always put greenhouse shading up. If you intend to keep it warm in winter there are some very good heaters on the market -- your personal choice. I would recommend two or three small fans in different areas running 24/7 which will elleviate the problems caused by lack of air movement. I would make the staging tops of strong wire mesh to provide air to the underside of the pots. For what it's worth I treat most of my orchids as epiphytes in an open mix which allows the compost to dry out quickly. Do not use the orchid compost sold in garden centres --- it holds far too much moisture and will cut off the air to the roots which will 'drown' the plants.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:15 pm 

Liked in: 397 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
I just built a new 8 x 6 greenhouse this weekend.

I would definitely say make sure your base is dead level or you will get problems mainly with re-glazing it, best to glaze the sides and roof first then the two ends of the greenhouse. Once it's in place make sure all the glass has a good clean to let the maximum light it.

You can either go down that of two ways with ur benching either have benching all the way round the sides, or have benching on two sides and have a full side for an thing you are going to mount.

I would sergest that you bubble wrap the sides before u but anything in there so u have insulation when it come to heating it in the winter. Also where the side to the hedge is you could paint the inside of the glass with cool glass a white power paint before you but the bubble wrap up as that will refeclt some more light in to the greenhouse when it's dull.

Like phraggy said heating is up to personal choice I use electric and have a gas heater on stand buy just in case any power cuts. I have a little fan that I put on to give added air movement when it's very hot.

The back of my greenhouse is covered with shrubs and the and then half of ozone side and cover have got, some large shrubs by it and I have never had a problem with my orchids in there.

If your looking for guild pricing I would say check out greenhouse people I use this company, and never had a problem with them they are very knowledgeable, have a have a very large range of bench in and heating products as well as everything else to go with a greenhouse. Plugs they are generally ver good on pricing as well.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Thank you both - that's very helpful.

In the end I bought a very tidy second hand greenhouse the local free adds. Very pleased with it - only managed to break one pane of glass, so far. It is yet to go up! :)

Orchid Molly likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:05 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 5 posts
My nearest city or region is: Tamworth
My hardiness zone is: 9a
HI.Have anyone did try to use old double glazed window panels to build up the greenhouse? We have replaces old windows and have few of them including large sliding patio doors. I'm looking for some hints and tips how to use them maybe with some transparent plastic panels for the roof (due to weight). I would like to do it over the Spring, so have whole Winter to plan it all. Will be grateful for any info.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 pm 

Liked in: 397 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
I person all havent done it before it might be worth having a Google and see if anyone else has done it, it will be doable but how I don't know, but your not that far a way form me only a stones throw if your in Tamworth.

MiaR likes this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 5 posts
My nearest city or region is: Tamworth
My hardiness zone is: 9a
Hi Blondie.
yes,I'm in Tamworth. I didn't clarified what exactly do I need. I have googled the green houses made of windows already and it seems to be not a huge project, especially we are both diy people- just need some tips how to set it for orchids as I'm not sure it will works same way as for ordinary plants, orchids are very 'special'. Is better to get hints and tips at the beginning than redoing it after whole construction will be done.

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:04 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Good luck with your project MiaR.

My greenhouse is still not erected. But we labelled all the glass with stickers and drew a plan, so not too panicked I will forget how to to it. (Indoors DIY has taken priority for now. But hopefully I will have it up before September is out).

I've been browsing the web and have seen very rigid mesh type panels used by both orchid and Tillandsia growers to attach plants to, either directly with wire (Tillandsia), or to their mounts. Does anyone know the proper term for this stuff? I think I'd like to have it al along one side above the bench.

MiaR likes this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:16 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 106 posts
My nearest city or region is: Nottingham
I set up my greenhouse a few years ago and posted it's construction on this site. However, I can't trace it now. However, it was part double breezeblock and double glazing and I build it around a very large patio door. It's around 3m square with a polycarb roof and to be brief, it's very well insulated. It keeps the heat in very well but I have also used large bubble wrap on the inside of the all the windows and roof area. In winter as the nights turn cold, the heat inside the greenhouse will soon cool as it hits the cold glass. This insulation prevents this. I don't remove it as it also acts to prevent direct sun being on my plants. I also use aluminium shading on the outside for further protection if needed. On the flipside, the heat can get high extremely fast, so I installed a Simply Control extractor fan to help reduce the temperature. There are also other circulating fans for air movement and Simply Control fogger for your desired humidity levels. My temps run at min 13c min at night and min 18C daytime in winter. The heater hardly comes on in summer as the greenhouse does seem to generate it's own heat and retains it. On our few extreme hot periods, I have fitted one of the Snapscreen blinds and this works well to reduce the temps. I don't like the temp to exceed much above 85F as I feel the plants may shutdown, and can cause blistering. I keep mainly multifloral paphs so you would have to adjust your culture to suit your collection.

Gary

MiaR likes this post.