The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Greenhouse insulation
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greenhouse insulation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:44 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 397 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
Hello

So I'll start from the beginning I am completely renovating the greenhouse this year, due to the fact the electric bill will be go up this year. The new price increase its ridiculous and wrong. So I'm hoping to make the greenhouse far more economical and energy efficient.

I am going to be us in three different type of insulation for, the greenhouse. It's going to cost a fair but but should give me some good returns really.

The first layer I am using is a insulating foil that's like bubble wrap but thinner, with better instatling properties also as an insulator it also keeps area cool in the summer.

The next layer is going to a insulation boarding at 250mm thick I have yet to decide if I will use ecotherm or celotex, depends if the only difference between the product is the name.

Then third layer will be normal UV treated bubble wrapp, over the top.

All three of these will be all around the base to the height of the benching. But I will be using the silver bubble insulation to fully cover the end of the green to the roof, also the complet one side of the greenhouse that recieves the least amount of light. I am hoping by doing this is will give me far more light in the months.

The sides of the will have a layer of bubble wrap as normal and the roof will receive a layer of bubble wrap, but the roof one gets removed for shade netting in the summer and but back up in Autumn.

How are others insulating there greenhouses, with prices going up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:35 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 394 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
We used celotex around the bottom on the wooden parts of the greenhouse and 25mm multi wall polycarbonate on the all-glass areas. The polycarb was expensive but probably paid back in a year or two.

25mm Polycarb gives about 40% shading, so we dont bother with shade net in the summer.