The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Ventilation Methods
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ventilation Methods
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 3 posts
My nearest city or region is: nr Leeds
Hi All,

Have completed building a small orchid enclosure within the main greenhouse, the last question is about ventilation and which is the best way.

The unit has a one piece hinged lid of 10mm tw polycarb which can be opened * and shut along with a bottom vent or I could leave the lid shut and use a temp controlled extractor fan instead.
( * the lid would be opened by a string attached to the main greenhouses auto top vents; a method I have proven works fine)

Any experience of using a fan instead of vent openers and if they are as or more effective ?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Ventilation Methods
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:32 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 4 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Caterham
What did you go with in the end? Did you try thermostatically control computer fans?

http://www.safeheightsolutions.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Hi,

I initially tried 120mm pc fans, as can be seen below, but they had a bit too narrow air stream and a bit weak even for my small 4x2ft enclosure.

Found a 150mm 5v usb fan with a wider slower flow gave good result on a variable power supply and its kept working ok since last August despite the humid conditions.
http://www.prem-i-air.com/homepage.aspx?com=product&productid=6783&pg=1104&tl=1094

The ventilation is by a string attached to the main greenhouse auto roof vent, which lifts the top and also a bottom section of the side wall to allow a good air flow.

Found a 180w tubular heater kept things at 15c even in this cold winter.

Though small, quiet happy with this little area, rather than dedicating a large part of the greenhouse as I had done in the past.
The phals are spiking again and it also has some houseplants in there, so should provide a good selection of blooms for the main house.

You doing similar ?

pic july 2017

Attachments:
000837.jpg
000837.jpg [ 40.86 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

P_Koz likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:17 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

No not yet. But my conservatory is too cool in the winter and I don't want the heating bills for the whole room. I'm looking at wardian case options. Your set up looks great. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 409 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
P_Koz wrote:
No not yet. But my conservatory is too cool in the winter and I don't want the heating bills for the whole room. ...............

Probably ideal for a few cymbidiums 8-)

P_Koz likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:04 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

P_Koz wrote:
No not yet. But my conservatory is too cool in the winter and I don't want the heating bills for the whole room. I'm looking at wardian case options. Your set up looks great. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi,

Seems Wardian case covers a variety of shapes and sizes, any particular one you are looking at, diy or purchased ?

If in a conservatory, whats it like in summer ? most orchids so need some shade and not too hot.

If not using double glazing, like twin walled, you will need to add something like bubble wrap in the winter if the conservatory gets below 4c or it will need a bit more heating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:12 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 394 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
A great set-up Ricky !

Although I'd have this terrific urge to fill the empty space between floor & ceiling with branches stuffed with mounted plants......
....and then I'd be moaning about the lack of space and all the extra watering....I just can't win !

Steve

ricky likes this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:53 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

stevek wrote:
A great set-up Ricky !

Although I'd have this terrific urge to fill the empty space between floor & ceiling with branches stuffed with mounted plants......
....and then I'd be moaning about the lack of space and all the extra watering....I just can't win !

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I have added a couple of shelves on the rear to allow plants to trail down etc, though might just add a branch or some cork bark on one end to make a smaller version of a 'wall' I used to have when I had half the greenhouse over to orchids.

Attachments:
2011-10-15 010.jpg
2011-10-15 010.jpg [ 94.17 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]

P_Koz likes this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

ricky wrote:
Hi,
Seems Wardian case covers a variety of shapes and sizes, any particular one you are looking at, diy or purchased ?
If in a conservatory, whats it like in summer ? most orchids so need some shade and not too hot.
If not using double glazing, like twin walled, you will need to add something like bubble wrap in the winter if the conservatory gets below 4c or it will need a bit more heating.

We only moved in last November. We have rads in the Conservatory but it still drops to about 5-8 degrees. Too cool for the warmer species. I think my biggest issue will be cooling. We have already hit 32 degrees in the conservatory this year and the ambient temp was only 15 degrees.

Before I go all out on new plants I'll be monitoring conditions this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:50 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

P_Koz wrote:
ricky wrote:
Hi,

We only moved in last November. We have rads in the Conservatory but it still drops to about 5-8 degrees. Too cool for the warmer species. I think my biggest issue will be cooling. We have already hit 32 degrees in the conservatory this year and the ambient temp was only 15 degrees.

Hi,

Think others might be able to confirm things , as we do not have a conservatory, but would suggest you are going to really struggle with orchids in such temperatures where its unlikely you will be able to get fresh cool air into the enclosure.

The only possible way I could see that may work was if you had a pipe duct from a shaded outside wall letting cool air into the enclosure.. probably not practicable ?

Would something portable be of more use so you could place it in a shaded sheltered spot outside during the summer or a look at making a well insulated mini orchid greenhouse outside which will give you much more potential ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

P_Koz wrote:
ricky wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

Think others might be able to confirm things , as we do not have a conservatory, but would suggest you are going to really struggle with orchids in such temperatures where its unlikely you will be able to get fresh cool air into the enclosure.

The only possible way I could see that may work was if you had a pipe duct from a shaded outside wall letting cool air into the enclosure.. probably not practicable ?

Would something portable be of more use so you could place it in a shaded sheltered spot outside during the summer or a look at making a well insulated mini orchid greenhouse outside which will give you much more potential ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 am 

ricky wrote:
I have added a couple of shelves on the rear to allow plants to trail down etc, though might just add a branch or some cork bark on one end to make a smaller version of a 'wall' I used to have when I had half the greenhouse over to orchids.

That's a fine, lush looking lot of growth you've got there Ricky, it looks really great!

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:55 am 

I thought a Conservatory would be the answer to my orchid growing but I didn't think/know there could potentially be so many problems so will be watching this ! :?

Paul: were your 5-8 degree November temps without overnight heating?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

stevek wrote:
I thought a Conservatory would be the answer to my orchid growing but I didn't think/know there could potentially be so many problems so will be watching this ! :?

Steve

Would seem so many variables about keeping orchids in a conservatory.

Think if its mainly south / west facing you have little chance as the summer heat will be too much to control unless you have very effective shading and air control of the conservatory itself before even considering an enclosure for the orchids.

Perhaps if it was possible to make a complete section of the conservatory a totally isolated orchid area which had its own opening windows then you might have a chance ?

My thoughts would be biased to getting a small shed or greenhouse dedicated to orchids and build in insulation, shading and air flow from the beginning, there must be somewhere you could fit a small 6x3 ,6x4 or 6x8 ??

If you look in the forum there are details of how to convert to a doubled skin greenhouse, think it was by Chalkey, but details may now be in the old archived section.

P_Koz likes this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm 

ricky wrote:
Would seem so many variables about keeping orchids in a conservatory.
Think if its mainly south / west facing you have little chance as the summer heat will be too much to control unless you have very effective shading and air control of the conservatory itself before even considering an enclosure for the orchids.
Perhaps if it was possible to make a complete section of the conservatory a totally isolated orchid area which had its own opening windows then you might have a chance ?
My thoughts would be biased to getting a small shed or greenhouse dedicated to orchids and build in insulation, shading and air flow from the beginning, there must be somewhere you could fit a small 6x3 ,6x4 or 6x8 ??
If you look in the forum there are details of how to convert to a doubled skin greenhouse, think it was by Chalkey, but details may now be in the old archived section.

Thanks Ricky, some good ideas and tips there, I have been admiring the greenhouses here since I joined the Forum but still haven't got around to doing anything about some sort of outdoor grow area rather than my spare room/grow room.
I just have to make sure I do all my research before jumping in feet first, taking all the variables into account, after all I don't suppose the maintenance of a south-facing 6x8 here in London is going to be anything like the same as a 6x8 south-facing in the far flung areas of the North !

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

stevek wrote:

Steve

Steve,
Pretty much Nov through March. Although I'm reliably informed that my decrepit weather station is being replaced for a certain yearly celebration in mid May. So I'll be able to keep a better track from then onwards. It is a double glazed and twin walled opaque roof. it is currently lined with blinds to the roof all the way round. We are almost directly south facing.

I'm most jealous of a friend of ours. They have a extended north facing section to their kitchen. Fully insulated and heated with glass double glazed roofing. Their orchids are fab and they are not even "into" them. :roll:

Last edited by P_Koz on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

ricky wrote:
P_Koz wrote:
ricky wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

Hahaha Ricky don't! I've already threatened the missus with a ridge line thermostatically controlled extractor fan. I'm going to have to keep working on her by the looks of things. :jumpy: :jumpy:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

P_Koz wrote:
Pretty much Nov through March. Although I'm reliably informed that my decrepit weather station is being replaced for a certain yearly celebration in mid May. So I'll be able to keep a better track from then onwards. It is a double glazed and twin walled opaque roof. it is currently lined with blinds to the roof all the way round. We are almost directly south facing.

Maybe I'll hang on then, to see how you get on with yours..........and learn from any of your mistakes ! :lol: :shock:

Steve

P_Koz likes this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

So pretty pleased today. Managed to keep the temps at ambient external temps. However this required all windows and doors open front and back of house plus fans.

I might look at a portable plumbed air conditioner. Leaving the windows and doors open everywhere is not a good look security wise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:46 am 

P_Koz wrote:
So pretty pleased today. Managed to keep the temps at ambient external temps. However this required all windows and doors open front and back of house plus fans.
I might look at a portable plumbed air conditioner. Leaving the windows and doors open everywhere is not a good look security wise.

Today should be interesting and a bit of a tester Paul, temps supposedly rising to 26-27c ? :o

Steve