The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - My greenhouse
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My greenhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:14 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 12 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: West Yorkshire
I was asked to show images of my greenhouse after re-lining the interior with 16mm triple wall polycarbinate. So I've posted a link to https://youtu.be/dQDnCtruJz8 to show the results. I hope to do the same in the cool to intermediate greenhouse sometime next year, I am starting to loose too much light in there.

phpBB [video]

Bernard

4 people like this post.

Post subject: Re: My greenhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 179 posts
My nearest city or region is: London
My hardiness zone is: 9a
Hi - I have put your video in your post for you (you can also embed video URLs just like image ones, but using the "video" tags).

Best wishes.

• Email me for site admin issues
• Orchid inspiration (random images from this site for viewing and discussion)
• Orchid growlist | • Orchid wishlist
• Carnivorous plant growlist

Seeking: Aristolochia cathcartii, Encephalartos inopinus, Passiflora incarnata, P. tucumanensis (seeds) Lobelia gloria-montis, L. villosa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm 
Starting to put down roots here
Starting to put down roots here

Liked in: 30 posts
Hi, Bernard - Good to see you on the forum recently. Does not look like anyone knew sufficient Portuguese to help you though. I have tried finding someway of getting the DOG Die Orchidee magazine translated too but without success.
Your change from bubble to polycarbonate is most topical for me because I have just done the same in one of my greenhouses. What has really surprised me is the amount of light which the bubble was withholding once the shade was removed in the Autumn. It is so bright in there now that I don't know whether to reinstall my shading outside all year (I use the white stuff with aluminium strips). I don't want even the winter sun to burn anything.
Interesting too that you risk domestic fans in such a humid atmosphere. I took the decision several years ago to play safe and installed Hotbox Mistraal fans in both my greenhouses.
Richard (ex Sheffield)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Richard, I have been contacted by one of the members of this forum (Anna) who was able to help with the Portuguese translation, fingers crossed for a result. I agree with you with regards to the much increased lighting - I am seeing better growth from some previously sluggish plants. I have over the years used robust commercial circulating fans, I find that good domestic fans with safety cutouts work just as well. I have three fans working in both sections of the greenhouse continuously and four in the summer months. I change them every four or five years, I have had no breakdowns (touch wood) they are easier to place where they give better circulation results.

Bernard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:53 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 35 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (Scotland)
My nearest city or region is: Edinburgh
What a wonderful greenhouse! So neat and tidy! I'd love to have a garden so I could branch out! Goodness knows I need the space! Is that a B.blumei in flower during the video? That's a very pretty flower!
Haven't received a rely yet to the email I sent to the Portuguese guy, but did find his email address so I will keep my fingers crossed!

Anna :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:35 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Anna, thanks for your kind comments. Yes it was named B.blumei, but is now named B.maxilare. If you look in the Bulbophyllum archive you will see a smaller yellow version of this species.