The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Hydroton clay pebbles.
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 394 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
stevek wrote:
I think you must use the same Hydroponics shop as me ?
Some of the customers & staff are very suspect looking that sometimes I feel quite out of place ! :?
Talking to one of the staff, I was asked "What are orchids?" :wtf:

Nah, cant be the same place, your guys actually spoke. :shifty:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:51 am 

Well i decided to shift a lot of cooler growing coelogynes into clay balls. I got fed up with rotting bark and many/most cooler growing coelogynes grow on rocks anyway not on bark. Even those that grown on bark, grow ON bark and not IN bark. Anyway thats my logic so well see how it goes.

Orchid Molly likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:10 pm 

Liked in: 374 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
SilverShaded wrote:
Nah, cant be the same place, your guys actually spoke. :shifty:

Tattoos, body piercings, dreadlocks, knuckles dragging across the floor......and that's just the women !!! :shock:

I understand what you're saying about compost, I may be totally wrong but as far as I can tell, media is only for anchoring a plant in place.
In nature, detritus accumulates within that media but has the beneficial "knock-on" effect of containing nutrients which then feed the plant.
In pots, there is no detritus to feed the plant so we have to replace that with shop-bought feeds.
Bark is great up to the point that it rots, good quality bark is quite often difficult to get hold of, I've received plants with smashing, solid, rounded chunks of bark but when I try to buy that quality I quite often get rough old stuff which looks like its been obtained with an axe, damp-smelling and thick splinters of bark.
As far as I'm concerned, clay balls are round and firm, just like good bark but doesn't rot down to mush so maintains its aeration (but again, I may be wrong? :? )

I've attached some photos of my Paph. bellatulum which started my clay ball re-pots as its roots were rotted down to one root only, I'm not suggesting it is responsible for the good root growth but it certainly doesn't seem to be doing any harm.....yet?
The first photo shows a huge new white pointed root coming through (I initially thought it was a great big slug!)
The second photo, I had to shift some of the clay balls over to expose the new roots coming through from the back of the plant.
The third photo shows it hasn't finished yet as there is another new root, coming through at the front of the plant, there may be other new roots within the centre of the pot which I cannot see ?

The fourth photo is a blue dendrobium noid.
The fifth photo is a back-bulb from my encyclia vitellina, it was doing nothing so I removed it when I re-potted the main plant but decided to see if anything would happen, it has done nothing for years, I potted it in clay balls on 1st. July and on 28th. July I noticed the small growth starting to appear from it.
The sixth (and last!) photo is a Paph. noid, it does not have new roots but you can see the light new re-growth, one at top right of photo and two nearer to the bottom left of the pot.

These were all re-potted in the last month or two.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1792.JPG
DSCF1792.JPG [ 390.65 KiB | Viewed 66806 times ]
DSCF1793.JPG
DSCF1793.JPG [ 415.42 KiB | Viewed 66806 times ]
DSCF1794.JPG
DSCF1794.JPG [ 364.13 KiB | Viewed 66806 times ]
DSCF1787.JPG
DSCF1787.JPG [ 377.09 KiB | Viewed 66806 times ]
DSCF1790.JPG
DSCF1790.JPG [ 351.53 KiB | Viewed 66806 times ]
DSCF1791.JPG
DSCF1791.JPG [ 376.28 KiB | Viewed 66806 times ]

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:30 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 16 posts
I live in: Sweden • Sverige
My nearest city or region is: Goteborg
@stevek

Your root growth are splendid and exactly how it should happen. :)
Growing in S/H is good for cool growers.
I measure the temperature down in the pot and the temperature down there is 3-5 degrees lower then in the room where the pot is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:22 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 24 posts
My nearest city or region is: LONDON
Hi Stevek,
It is really beautiful to see all that root growth on your plants especially the den.
Today i got 3 phals and one den for £2 each from a garden center.
I am going to do the same. These pictures has given me more confidence.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:46 pm 

Hi Orchid friends,
Can miltoniopsis be planted with hydroton clay pebbles. Pls advice.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:31 pm 

Stevek, cant help thinking on photo 4 the root on the clay looks healthy and the same root passing over the bark looks stained with tannins and maybe less healthy overall?

I just repotted a paph. micranthum which was allready in hydroton for several months and the two new roots were long and healthy, so its back in clay balls again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:37 pm 

Olea wrote:
@stevek

Your root growth are splendid and exactly how it should happen. :)
Growing in S/H is good for cool growers.
I measure the temperature down in the pot and the temperature down there is 3-5 degrees lower then in the room where the pot is.

To be clear, semi-hydro is when you grow stood permanently in water. I'm mostly using hydroton as inert media, nothing to do with semi-hydro.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:30 pm 

Thanks Olea & Molly...........
I’m pleased with the roots too but just to clarify, and like SilverShaded has mentioned, I am using clay balls as a growing media which is not the true S/H.

To me, the name “Semi-Hydro” is a bit misleading as I believe Olea is growing in clay balls and water which is Hydroponic (nothing semi about it ?) whereas I’m only using the clay balls which is not 100% of the Hydroponic method so that would make my method semi-hydro ????
I’ve added a very small amount of compost with the clay balls otherwise I think they would dry out too quickly in my warm growing conditions.

I do have two restrepias growing nearer to Olea’s method, in clay balls only, this is a smaller grade so I haven’t added any compost and they do sit in a little water.
Below is attached my Ceylon Ruby, it has been in clay balls for about 6 months, it has grown very well this year putting out many leaves that it is becoming quite a large specimen, you may be able to see the new leaves which are a slightly lighter colour than the established leaves (these will darken right down in time).
Once again I’m not suggesting clay balls have done this but the plants don’t seem to suffer from being in this media.

Molly, I would have no problems with putting fine-rooted orchids like miltoniopsis into the smaller grade clay balls.

SilverShaded: You may well be correct about the tannin stained roots.......I hadn’t noticed until you mentioned it ! :roll:

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1801.JPG
DSCF1801.JPG [ 385.37 KiB | Viewed 66333 times ]

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:15 pm 

Thank you Stevek for the info. I am using plain hydroton clay pebbles as the media. Not mixed with anything. As they are in the clear glass vase, it is easy for me to keep the level of watering under control. May be I am doing it wrong. But so far so good. I can notice good root growth on my dens and plahs. Bit of slow progress on the oncidiums.

SilverShaded likes this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:02 pm 

Hi Molly,
Orchid Molly wrote:
I am using plain hydroton clay pebbles as the media. Not mixed with anything. As they are in the clear glass vase, it is easy for me to keep the level of watering under control.

I wouldn't expect you need to add anything to the clay balls if you are keeping them in a vase of water, it's only because I don't sit mine in water that I feel I need to add a small amount of compost to make up for that lack of water.

Orchid Molly wrote:
May be I am doing it wrong. But so far so good. I can notice good root growth on my dens and plahs. Bit of slow progress on the oncidiums.

Well done, if you've noticed good root growth then you can't be doing it wrong!

Just an added note to the previous, I attached a photo of an old dormant encyclia vitellina backbulb which had sprung into growth within a month after potting it into clay balls.
Today, during the mid-week watering session, I noticed a second growth (photo below)...... amazing !!!!
Not putting this all down to the clay balls but just confirmation that it doesn't seem to hinder them.
Just think, I would normally throw dormant/dead back-bulbs away, but now I could have two new extra flowering bulbs. :D

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF1806.JPG
DSCF1806.JPG [ 398.37 KiB | Viewed 66034 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:09 pm 

Hi Stevek,
It is a nice cool new growth, looks healthy. Thank you.
Hydroton clay is my favorite media now. My plants look healthy.
I am not familiar with the process of adding pictures, i will try and work it out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:38 am 

Orchid Molly wrote:
I am not familiar with the process of adding pictures, i will try and work it out soon.

Hi Molly,

It's quite easy (once you know how):
Download/Save your photo somewhere on your system
Create/write your Post
Scroll further down the screen and select "Choose File"
A prompt will appear to locate your photo
Double-click on the photo when you have located it
The name/number of the photo will appear in place of "No file chosen" if it has successfully attached or....
You can always select either of the "Preview" options to confirm the same
Submit your Post.

Forum won't accept large photos but you will be warned if your photo is too large.
Mine are always too large (over 1.00 MB) so as a matter of course, I always use the Photo Editor to re-size it to 50% of its original size.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:20 pm 

Liked in: 22 posts
My nearest city or region is: West Yorkshire
I would also add that, at least for beginners (and me), LECA makes re-potting a non-event.

Apart from massaging the pot (those roots clinging to the pot itself) then there is nothing to it. Larger pot, more pebbles... Done.

I needed to remove an Angraecum magdalenae from a s/h pot yesterday in anticipation of Winter. The very impressive root ball just dropped out the pot and was dropped into a new new pot with some extra LECA - job over. I'm told that this plant doesn't like root disturbance - didn't get any so no problem.

If there were some pressing need then, in pebbles, I would have no problem in re-potting a Pleione right now. It wouldn't notice that anything had changed.

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:47 pm 

HUD357 wrote:
I would also add that, at least for beginners (and me), LECA makes re-potting a non-event.
Apart from massaging the pot (those roots clinging to the pot itself) then there is nothing to it. Larger pot, more pebbles... Done.
I needed to remove an Angraecum magdalenae from a s/h pot yesterday in anticipation of Winter. The very impressive root ball just dropped out the pot and was dropped into a new new pot with some extra LECA - job over. I'm told that this plant doesn't like root disturbance - didn't get any so no problem.
If there were some pressing need then, in pebbles, I would have no problem in re-potting a Pleione right now. It wouldn't notice that anything had changed.

That's good to know for the future.
I must admit I have Ang. viqueri which also has a reputation for being temperamental about root disturbance, I re-potted that in Leca a few months ago and it is sulking, its making roots but the growing tip isn't moving at all, on the other hand I re-potted a Psychopsis in Leca early June, also supposed to hate root disturbance but its 4 spikes are continuing to flower and the new 5th. spike is continuing to grow as if nothing had happened ?

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 458 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
stevek wrote:
HUD357 wrote:

That's good to know for the future.
I must admit I have Ang. viqueri which also has a reputation for being temperamental about root disturbance, I re-potted that in Leca a few months ago and it is sulking, its making roots but the growing tip isn't moving at all, on the other hand I re-potted a Psychopsis in Leca early June, also supposed to hate root disturbance but its 4 spikes are continuing to flower and the new 5th. spike is continuing to grow as if nothing had happened ?

Steve

Angraecums are ok to repot providing you just 'pot on' and don't disturb the root ball.

Ed

NatalieS likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:35 pm 

Liked in: 22 posts
My nearest city or region is: West Yorkshire
Angraecums are ok to repot providing you just 'pot on' and don't disturb the root ball.

Problem I have found is that my main reason for repotting is that I need to get rid of the old, decomposed, substrate. This usually involves separating it from the root system. Damage is inevitable with bark and such. Pebbles, generally, don't need replacing so I have no need to 'dig around' removing old substrate from the root ball.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not suggesting that Pebbles are the 'dogs' just that Pebbles are excellent for beginners and ('experienced') idiots like me.

As I said earlier there are some plants that I'm considering moving back to 'traditional media'. I'm struggling with Cymbidiums and some Odont type hybrids. Haven't made my mind up yet though.

Pebbles have become my 'default' media now. Got a masdy free with an order sometime ago and it went right into pebbles. Apart from the slugs finding it earlier in the year it has come along just fine. I had no idea what to do with it when it arrived and so it was dropped into Pebbles.

I got confused about all the 'recipes' for growing Pleione so dropped them into Pebbles. The problem I have now is that the PS's are fattening up and throwing the Pebbles out of the pot.

Can't complain about either.