The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Commercially available pH down products
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 114 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Leicester
A quick question on the myriad of commercially available products for adjusting pH. The pH of my rain water is 7 and even after dosing with Akernes the pH is around 6.8 when dosed to give a TDC of approx 250 mS. I want to keep the feed strength weak so as not to get leaf burn on my Draculas but I can't get the pH lower without increasing the feed strength. I now want to try a pH down product to get the pH down to around 6.4, but have noticed that some come in two forms, one based on Nitric acid for growth and one based on Phosphoric acid for blooming and fruit. These are for hydroponics and the murky world of grow your own recreational medicines. Are these suitable for adjusting the pH for water used for orchids and if so which should I use, the Nitric or Phosphoric acid based product for general pH reduction.

Or am I over complicating rain water?

Thanks for any advice

Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:37 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 459 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
I would say you are OK with your mix of pH of 6.8. There are aquatic products to lower the pH to 6.5 but In my opinion I would stick to what you've got. I use 50% tap and 50% rainwater which gives me a reading of 6.7pH and a Tds reading of 74 and with added Rain Mix it goes upto 177. If you get too complicated it will catch up on you in the long run. We are probably running our water feeding habits at nearly the same level.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:23 am 

Thanks Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:03 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Liked in: 79 posts
My nearest city or region is: Nottingham
My hardiness zone is: 8b -6.7to-9.4
Rock Doctor wrote:
A quick question on the myriad of commercially available products for adjusting pH. The pH of my rain water is 7 and even after dosing with Akernes the pH is around 6.8 when dosed to give a TDC of approx 250 mS. I want to keep the feed strength weak so as not to get leaf burn on my Draculas but I can't get the pH lower without increasing the feed strength. I now want to try a pH down product to get the pH down to around 6.4, but have noticed that some come in two forms, one based on Nitric acid for growth and one based on Phosphoric acid for blooming and fruit. These are for hydroponics and the murky world of grow your own recreational medicines. Are these suitable for adjusting the pH for water used for orchids and if so which should I use, the Nitric or Phosphoric acid based product for general pH reduction.

Or am I over complicating rain water?

Thanks for any advice

Dave

I know its been a while but anyway here's my two pennies, something don't seem right with your readings so the first thing is to check your PH readings and calibrate your PH instrument. I use RO(about 7 ph)and when Rain mix is added it drops to about 6.2-6.4 and no adjustment is needed. When I used to use rain water with a PH of about 6.2 with rain mix added it would drop it to 5.6.

http://www.koolorchids.co.uk Orchid Growing Info
Join my FaceBook group The Orchid & Gardening Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/633055240086601/
View then Like our business Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/orchidsuppliesuk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:46 am 

Keith, got my water to settle down and now feed at about 300ms at a pH of 6.3. I also add a few ml of Citrox just to keep the water sweet and stop algae growth in both the feed water and water used in my humidifier. If it is made up more than a few days in advance. I have noticed than my rain water is quit acidic and not sure if this is smoothing leaching from my plastic butt or off the conservatory roof so before adding the feed I up the pH back to 7. The Bjorns doing well and now has about 6 flowers open.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:03 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 394 posts
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
Rain water (in fact all, allmost pure waters, left in contact with air) will be slightly acid due to dissolved CO2. It can drop to 5.5 just by leaving it lying around.

Masdyman likes this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Liked in: 79 posts
My nearest city or region is: Nottingham
My hardiness zone is: 8b -6.7to-9.4
Rock Doctor wrote:
Keith, got my water to settle down and now feed at about 300ms at a pH of 6.3. I also add a few ml of Citrox just to keep the water sweet and stop algae growth in both the feed water and water used in my humidifier. If it is made up more than a few days in advance. I have noticed than my rain water is quit acidic and not sure if this is smoothing leaching from my plastic butt or off the conservatory roof so before adding the feed I up the pH back to 7. The Bjorns doing well and now has about 6 flowers open.

Your best to adjust the PH after the feed has been added and at the time of use.
As Silver has stated if you leave water open to the air the PH will gradually alter, hence it best to use up your water/feed solution straight away or within a few days at the most.

Also if you can get away without adjusting the PH then I would, don't get too hung up if your PH isn't always the same, it doesn't matter. What matters is its within a range.
The more you rely on PH pens and adjusting PH I think the more your likely to run in to trouble.

http://www.koolorchids.co.uk Orchid Growing Info
Join my FaceBook group The Orchid & Gardening Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/633055240086601/
View then Like our business Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/orchidsuppliesuk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:20 pm 

Thanks Keith, I'll try to un complicate my water and just use the rain water as is with a weak feed and see how the plant react.