The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - New member's problems
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New member's problems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:25 am 
Offline
Still settling in
Still settling in

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:29 am
Posts: 2
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Wessex
Hey there, I'm an Oldie - not quite as sharp as maybe I once was. So maybe I ask questions - and all you regular users will say, why that's obvious - why doesn't he/she ( 'cos you don't yet know if oldie is male, female or other... ) do this , that or the other.
I think I know my way round forums like this, and I'd like to join in ; but just how do I start ?
Looking at other folks messages I think there must be somewhere to create a profile, put a personal image up, or whatever - and I don't see where it is.
Then again, I am interested in a number of groups of orchids - Dendrobes, catasetae, catts, Oncidium, Pleurothallids - to name a few ( well, most, actually). I'd like to get notifications of new message in those groups . Does that happen automatically etc ?
So how do I join in ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 pm 
Offline
This forum is my spiritual home
This forum is my spiritual home

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:42 pm
Posts: 705
Likes: 17 posts
Liked in: 374 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Oldie wrote:
I think I know my way round forums like this, and I'd like to join in ; but just how do I start ?

Hi and welcome Oldie, you have already started (although new joiners tend to introduce themselves and interests in the "Introductions" section) but no problem.
You should automatically receive email notifications to any Topic you have joined in with (you should get one from this reply?), but as far as I know there are no Group Notifications for specific orchids although as this is a Forum, you will get information submitted from other members which you may not have known about.

Steve



phraggy likes this post.
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:55 pm
Posts: 158
Likes: 591 posts
Liked in: 61 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Lancashire
Hello Oldie, and welcome!

Oldie wrote:
Hey there, I'm an Oldie - not quite as sharp as maybe I once was. So maybe I ask questions - and all you regular users will say, why that's obvious - why doesn't he/she ( 'cos you don't yet know if oldie is male, female or other... ) do this , that or the other.
I think I know my way round forums like this, and I'd like to join in ; but just how do I start ?

Like Steve said, usually there's an introductions section to most Forums, but only a fraction of Forum members may use it on any given site. But it's usually a good way to say hi! :greetings-waveyellow:

Oldie wrote:
Looking at other folks messages I think there must be somewhere to create a profile, put a personal image up, or whatever - and I don't see where it is.

In the top right of the page are a selection of page links. User Control Panel will take you to the part of the site where you see a menu on the Left which allows you to edit your profile, including adding an Avatar Image / Profile Picture.

Oldie wrote:
Then again, I am interested in a number of groups of orchids - Dendrobes, catasetae, catts, Oncidium, Pleurothallids - to name a few ( well, most, actually). I'd like to get notifications of new message in those groups . Does that happen automatically etc ?
So how do I join in ?

You can Subscribe to any singular post or an Orchid Specific Forum in general. The Subscribe button is at the top Left of the Forum or Individual post. You can unsubscribe at any point.

Oldie wrote:
So how do I join in ?

You just have ;)
There will be forum rules, but generally there are no hard and fast rules for how you join in on a Forum so long as people don't: Troll, Spam or be generally Offensive to other members.

Hope that helps a little :)



phraggy likes this post.
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:04 pm 
Offline
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 914
Likes: 308 posts
Liked in: 458 posts
Images: 31
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
I think Michele has given you all the info that you may need. may I also welcome you to the forum from another oldie.

Ed


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group