The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - RHS Show, London 2017
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:20 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
phraggy wrote:
Chris and Steve you will both have a 'whale' of a time. The last time I was there Peruflora had some cracking phrags and KJ orchids some lovely paphs. Anyhow enjoy yourselves and I'd love to watch you sneaking the plants in back home without the boss noticing. You will definitely find Malvern much better for your needs.

Hi and thanks Ed,

I'll make a point of looking at those vendors you mentioned.
Probably just as well Malvern is a little too far for me, 2 Shows in on year?, I don't mind but for that same old proverbial problem of space !
So I'll take the London Show and leave the Malvern goodies to you? ;)

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:23 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 36 posts
My nearest city or region is: Wiltshire
Hi Steve and Ed,
Yes, not long to go and looking forward to it. Definitely aiming to stick to photos rather than purchases if at all possible. Don't have the room for any more right now and the boss might not let me out to another show if I come back with yet another one...or five!
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 89 posts
My nearest city or region is: Vale Royal
My hardiness zone is: 8b
Hope you all strike lucky and find a Gem of a plant :handgestures-thumbupleft:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm 

OldConkerwood wrote:
Hope you all strike lucky and find a Gem of a plant :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Barnie, I'll certainly try my best !
I don't think I could go all the way to a Show and not buy at least 1 plant?..... what's the betting Chris falls off the wagon and leaves the Show with a lorry-load full of them ? :lol:

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:13 pm 

Liked in: 459 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
I'm certain Chris will buy something!!!!!!

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:59 pm 

You know me too well! We will see this week...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:59 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 2 posts
My nearest city or region is: Dublin
Can someone please do me a favour? Can someone ask Peruflora to please email me the tracking number of the order I placed? I have tried sending repeat emails to both Manolo's email address and their main one for nearly a week, with no reply whatsoever. I am afraid that I will lose the $124 I sent for the order. I have never met a company who either refuses to reply to their emails or cannot be bothered. Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:12 pm 

mark wrote:
Can someone please do me a favour? Can someone ask Peruflora to please email me the tracking number of the order I placed? I have tried sending repeat emails to both Manolo's email address and their main one for nearly a week, with no reply whatsoever. I am afraid that I will lose the $124 I sent for the order. I have never met a company who either refuses to reply to their emails or cannot be bothered. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Mark,

I'd like to think an Orchid Company like Peruflora isn't ignoring you but has no time right now due to the pressures of preparing for the Show but they should still acknowledge your emails ?

Just concerned that they will have no idea who or what I am talking about if I approach them and ask "Can mark have his tracking number please?"

I'm happy to do this but do you think its a good idea if you pm me some details which I can print off and hand to them?,
ie reconfirm in the PM what you want (the tracking number) and maybe include your full name, home address, email address (again), what the order was for and when (approx.) it was made.?

Steve

Oh, and your bank account number, sort code and PIN number would be good too ! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm 

ImageImageImageImage

Well, Steve and Ed, you were right - I couldn't resist a couple of purchases at the show. "Only two, both small, one of which for the garden" - was exactly how I explained it to my wife upon my return.

Been after a Gloria Naugle for ages and Burnham had a few fresh from the Eric Young Foundation, so should be good quality. The Himantoglossum hircinum was a nostalgia purchase - saw masses of these by a roadside in France when I was about 12 on a school trip. Amazing sight and helped fire my interest at a young age.
Photos of the flowers off the net of course.

Anyone else get anything nice? There was alot of great stuff to choose from if you had a bit of a rummage!

Chris

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

Hi Chris,

So you DID succumb to temptation after all eh?, nothing wrong with that, and I see you’ve gone for quality rather than quantity, particularly with Gloria Naugle, a lovely raspberry-coloured classic and one of the best looking “pouched-paphs” around.

This year was probably the least I’ve bought in any year (9 plants in total), I also left early (before 7 pm) rather then having to be thrown out at the end, nor do I intend doing a return on a full day as I would normally do.
Lots of colour there but as you say, you had to rummage past the more familiar plants to find any special gems.

But it was worth it if only for my 3 pre-ordered Trisetallas (photo above), don’t know how I’ll get on with them so I’ve got 1 in rockwool, 1 in my magic clayball & compost mix and the other gets the standard mounted in moss treatment.

One of my best buys was Siedenfadenia mitrata (£32, unflowering and bare-rooted) which was mounted today.
My first buy was Dendrobium pendulum (rubbish photo attached), colouring almost exactly like my favourite Wardianum (which is going to let me down this year with only 3 flowers), I like this ones canes too which look like boney-fingers! :?
Also got which I think is Aerangis citrata from Joseph Wu, there was no label on them but the flowers look a lot bigger than any of the flowers on previous plants I’ve had.

Didn’t see anything too spectacular on the Peruflora stand, they had as always, a great collection of masdevallias and Pleuro type plants if they are your thing.

I think there would be a lot there for those collectors new to orchids.

Steve

Attachments:
DenPendulum.JPG
DenPendulum.JPG [ 344.27 KiB | Viewed 1735 times ]

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 7 posts
I live in: Belgium • België • Belgique • Belgien
My nearest city or region is: Schoten
stevek wrote:
Also got which I think is Aerangis citrata from Joseph Wu, there was no label on them but the flowers look a lot bigger than any of the flowers on previous plants I’ve had.

Steve, that would be because it was a citrata hybrid... hence the larger flowers and less flowers per spike.
I think she mentioned parentage as (citrata x fastuosa) x citrata.

Laarsebeekdreef 4, B-2900 Schoten, Belgium

http://www.akerne-orchids.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 am 

Steve, I think I must have photographed your Dend.pendulum (if it was the one on the KJstand) - I was similarly struck by the bony canes. Like the Elder wand from Harry Potter!
There were certainly some nice things around, but I just don't have the space. I loved the big Epi.parkinsonianums they had on show in particular.
Perufloras stand was difficult to really see what they had. Everything was too jumbled up and hard to reach. Surprised they didn't have more phrags too, unless they had all gone early.
Without wishing to put down the vendors, I certainly felt a lot better about my culture after visiting - some of the plants on offer were of such poor quality. Without naming names, I asked about a large paph on display on one of the stands and was told that I couldnt have that one until the end of the show (which I obviously couldnt do) and offered me their 'spare' instead which looked a really weak plant. Unsurprisingly, I said no and they looked rather affronted!
Good luck with the Trisetallas - they look very unique.
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:24 am 

KBruyninckx wrote:
Steve, that would be because it was a citrata hybrid... hence the larger flowers and less flowers per spike.
I think she mentioned parentage as (citrata x fastuosa) x citrata.

Hi and many thanks for that information Kenneth, it was very good of you to provide it.
I could see the foliage was definitely from citrata, it looks exactly like citrata but the flowers threw me and I can now see there is a definite divide between the foliage and flowers (rather than a merged mix from both)
To me, the foliage is all citrata and the flowers of fastuosa, and now I know what it is.....much appreciated !

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 pm 

Hi Chris !

I’m glad you were only photographing the pendulum and not buying it (otherwise I may never have had it !)

So that was KJ?, if we’re talking about the same stand, I’ve never noticed a sign on his stall, he always has things I want to buy each year and thought it was Popow only because I overheard some-one mention that name at his stall last year. The pendulums were on a mesh stand slightly to the left as you enter the Hall. You mentioned the Epidendrum, I bought one from the same stall last year, it is a big old beast and is even bigger now (but no sign of any buds yet.)

I totally agree with you on the Peruflora stand, I made a point of looking out for it after Ed mentioned it but as you say, being confronted by what looks like the aftermath of a sale was a bit daunting, you would have needed quite a bit if time to go through it all, fortunately because most of his plants are cooler growers I didn’t need to do that.

It is a bit naughty showing a specimen plant to draw buyers in then offering them a sub standard form, I would be quite happy to buy a smaller, healthy plant (as the specimen would demonstrate what could be achieved with it), but if it was weak and possibly not able to recover then I wouldn’t be too happy.

The only Stall I dread approaching (but I have to because they have some nice plants) is Joseph Wu.
I always want to put on a suit of armour to defend myself against the “hard sell” which I’ve noticed in other Asian Vendors so think it’s probably a cultural thing/difference we Europeans are not used to?, but she is such a likeable person that you can’t get annoyed with her.

Good luck with your Gloria Naugle too, I’ve got 1 Trisetella in the warm growroom and the other 2 on the cooler, less bright kitchen window–sill where the windows are also almost always open. Really looking forward to seeing the first flower.

Steve

Post subject: RHS Show, London 2017
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:14 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

I live in: Spain • España
My nearest city or region is: Barcelona
Hey guys, this was my first year at the London show, and it was cool... but honestly, I expected it to be bigger and with a couple of more vendors. And I can't believe no one was selling sundries! I was going to order a bunch of those fierce hexagon shaped wood baskets from Roelke, but I figured there would be a bunch of vendors at the show selling all types of pots and baskets, but not a one! (Except Burnham with a couple of plastic pots.)

I totally get what you mean about the girl at the Joseph Wu stand! lol, she got me to spend £70 for a tiny Phal sumatrana in spike, that is supposed be rare because it's blooms have a greenish tint to them, as opposed to the reddish tint they usually have, and a small fragrant Phal. Schilleriana in bloom.

From Ecuagenera I got a couple of big bifoliate Cattleyas and Laelias, a Stanhopea hybrid, an adult Tricopilia marginata and an intermediate tolerant Dracula janetiae.

Then from Roelke I got a Bulbophylum Elizabeth Ann Buckleberry.

From the French vendors V&L I purchased an Odontoglossum Melissa, Brassia orange delight and Dendrobium dawn maree. They had nice plants but were rather pricey. Especially when paying in £ instead of €...

And lastly from Burnham I got a Brassia verrucosa "sea mist" and a bunch of Tolumnia hybrids in spike from a misc vendor.

All in all I enjoyed the show. I was also surprised no one was selling carnivorous plants either, oh well

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:01 pm 

Hi John,

Glad you enjoyed the Show, if you’d have been there not that many years ago, you would have got your wish (along with your wood baskets) for more Vendors and a choice of sundries including Ratcliffe’s who always had a range of media & containers, the ever dwindling list of Vendors makes me concerned about the future of the Show.

It looks like we’ll have to toughen you up before visiting Joseph Wu again, plenty of exercise and cold showers beforehand so you have the strength to say “No” to all those “rare” plants, £70 is a lot for a plant but you only pay it once, its all yours now AND it’s a sumatrana, for me a beautiful little flower because it looks nothing like a £15 Noid.
But I wish you hadn’t told me about the schilleriana, I mentioned in my earlier Post that I would be looking out for one but due to the pressing crowds (of non-buyers!), I lost my patience and left. :cry:
I’ve also noticed each year that V&L are always quite pricey.
You have bought an interesting and varied collection of plants, quite a few I'm familiar with including the Trichopilia, I had one in the past and almost bought the one from the KJ stand, a very unusual and attractive flower.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:14 am 

Hi John,
It was my first time too and I was surprised it wasn't a little bigger, or perhaps that some of the vendors hadn't brought more. That said, I still managed to kill a good four hours in there taking photos!
Sounds like you had quite a haul in the end. I remember the trichopilia too - I've always been fond of those twisty petals!
I must have got lucky with the Joseph Wu lady, but perhaps I wasn't target customer - phals aren't really my thing.
Worrying if what Steve reckons is true and the event is in decline, but most vendors seemed to be doing a brisk trade when I was there.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

Redtwist wrote:
Worrying if what Steve reckons is true and the event is in decline, but most vendors seemed to be doing a brisk trade when I was there.

I don't want to be the harbinger of doom so really hope I'm wrong !

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

I live in: Spain • España
My nearest city or region is: Barcelona
Hey Steve, yeah best toughen me up for next round at Joseph Wu, lol, but I don't think I was clear above. The phals were £35 each for the sumatrana and the schileriana - still a bit pricey ! We'll see what next year's show brings, but I'm told the one in Malvern blows this one out of the water, so maybe worth giving that one a try instead. Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 400 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
Joseph wu have always been expensive even going back ten years when I last went to the show, but you have to remember that Joseph wu had to pay out for CITES AND phyto certs to bring his plants in which puts the price up.

Ratcliffe orchids use to be the ones who had a lot of sundries for sale but they are no longer trading, as for other companies there are a few who do but don't go to this show as it mainly all about plants.

Orchidudebcn you have some good vids on YouTube.

I dunno what the prices are like these days but I do know it was pricey to have a stall that was a long time ago when the RHS use to own the buildings.