The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - British Orchid Growers Summer Fair
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 9 posts
Our annual summer fair has been moved to a new venue in Twickenham over a new weekend. It will be held 22/23rd August. There will be two visiting European nurseries and included in our non orchid sellers is Jacques Armand. Full details on the BOGA web site. There will be a series of talks during the weekend. Refreshments available.

Jeff Hutchings
Chairman

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 pm 
Starting to put down roots here

Liked in: 22 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London
I'm planning on going. Looks like there's going to be good value for a couple of quid entry. For anyone interested, here's the link;

http://www.boga.org.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:58 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Hi,

I would appreciate your comments on the venue and the show. This show has run for 29 years and we moved to Twickenham to encourage more of the Se orchid growers to attend. Those who did made very positive comments about the venue and what was offered. A large number took the opportunity to stay and have a leisurely meal or drink. We took the opportunity to ask people how they heard about the show (having decided to increase our newspaper advertising) and, if they were society members. Our big disappointment was that, unlike previous years, serious orchid enthusiasts were in the minority.

We have already booked the venue for the same weekend next year and are looking to see how we can increase the attendance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:09 pm 

It was my first BOGA show, so can't compare to previous ones. Also in the end I only made it to the last hour and half on Sunday! I didn't have time to go to any talks or check out the bar/food, though there did seem to be a lot of people sitting and eating/drinking!

It was great the venue was so close to the train station, which made it easy to find for me. Seemed to be a fair amount of parking too.

The room with the displays seemed rather dark.

Absolutely fabulous range of plants for sale! I hadn't expected there to be much since I arrived at the end, but I went home with several, including an in-spike Stanhopea oculata and a (small) two growth Paph philipenese for £15. I could have bought many more: can't believe I resisted the the chance of getting 5 named hybrid paphs for £15! Every stall had something I'd have liked to buy: I really had to control myself!

Also interesting things to see on the stalls: Roelke had a whole lot of one of their seed-grown hybrids in flower (senne orange/stern), and it was interesting to see the range of results. I did take some photos. Also Burnhams had a magnificent Stan oculata in flower (one reason I had to get the one in spike off Roelke...). Rare to see a Stan in flower, and it really did smell of mint chocolate. Lots of different maxilarias, including some I've not seen for sale before. Lots of terrestrials, bulbos, paphs, phrags, masdies, pleuros, coelgynes, even the odd chysis and catasetum type. Too much variety to take in with the short time I had.

I only heard about it through my orchid society: maybe more advertising on places like this would be good?

I also think you shouldn't be upset to get casual passers by in: people are always complaining London doesn't get enough! Notices up in the local area might help with that? (I don't live there, so I don't know if you had those).

Also I guess any new location people are going to be unsure of.

Anyway I will be looking forward to it next year. Not as big as London of course, but the sellers seemed to have really made an effort to bring a range of faboulous and interesting stuff, so well worth a visit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:05 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Thanks for your comments. The event was advertised in the Orchid Review, BOC listing, OSGB Journal plus leaflets at all the major shows but less than 25% of our visitors were society members. Locally we advertised in 8 newspapers, distributed 7000 leaflets, had fliers in the local railway station but this still did not draw the crowds we had hope for. We also got a mention in Saturdays D Telegraph gardening section. Not sure what else to do to get more people to visit. Saturdays heat did not help.

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 3 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (Scotland)
My nearest city or region is: Glasgow
I am considering going to get a stall next year. But I will be at the international carnivorous plant society in London the week before so probably won't go. Sounds like a great event though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:53 am 

I guess it might help if people posted why they didn't go! I'm still thinking that people being unsure about the new venue might have contributed. Hopefully that will not be such a problem next year?

Sounds like the advertising was good. I think though that any event like this word of mouth is the major thing, which is harder to arrange.

One thing that might be an idea is contacting local flower/gardening societies. OSGB now runs a coach out of central London for it's spring and autumn shows: they were a bit short on folks to fill the spare seats, so they now pick up members of a gardening society, and get plenty of takers from that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:42 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 12 posts
My nearest city or region is: Exeter
My hardiness zone is: 8b boardering 9a
Hey, I haven't seen the poster and also V. new to orchids so had no knowledge of this event, but i did used to run a vintage car show and work in events mgmt. I'll use the vintage car show as an example as i imagine it's the closer example, attendance in the time i was involved in this show went from under 3,000 average to 10,500. Maybe what we did will help with your future shows.

We sent fliers to be put in all car magazines contacted all the local car groups, even the 'not vintage' ones, but most of our response was from forums and word of mouth. I asked the members to post it everywhere, reddit forums, other forums, non related forums anywhere they had a presence, other groups (i managed one car full from my local knitting group!) stick a flyer in your window or local shop, walk past a house with a nice car? keep a couple in your pocket, write a quick note and stick it through the door. All of these could be applied to orchids.

Entry was reasonable but we had gotten to the point in attendence where the show was close to failing and either had to increase prices or get more through the door, so we tried as hard as we could not to make the advertising exclusive and advertise the other activities like the band, stalls, childrens play area already onsite etc, so SO's and families wanted to come along, which meant more of those that wanted to felt they could make it and drag everyone else too. It was very much still a car show, and a great one at that, but car lovers knew what to expect, it was the new crowd we were aiming the advertising at.

We also offered stalls to those who were first timers who were not 'core interest' and not sure how they'd do, pay by popularity option, keep a note of sales and pay a percentage of your takings. Then in future decide if a stall was right for them. Which meant we could use them as advertising. Win win.

Hope that's helped or given you some idea's There are loads more pointers i can think of but i think these were the main of our success. Hope it helps.

Coming soon - Neof. Falcata, Zygopetalum, Paph. roth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:28 pm 

Just a little added point: when I arrived at the venue it was great that there was a huge banner up. However I did have a 'how the heck do I get in' moment. Turned out there was a sign pointing to the entrance at the back, but it was obscured by parked cars. While it didn't put me off, it might put off passing/casual trade, as they might not make the effort to search, or might think there's nothing happening, or it's finished, if they can't SEE something's happening. More signage would help, possibly getting people out front if possible.

Looking at Bex's post... I wonder how orchid face painting for kids would go down? LOL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:32 pm 

PS, there's a rule of thumb I've heard of before: people have to hear about an event 3 times before they notice it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Thanks for the comments. This event has been going for years as I indicated in an earlier post. Two changes this year, a new venue and we moved away from the bank holiday. We added one non orchid nursery (bulbs). All the societies exhibiting at Malvern were told about it and given fliers if they wanted them. Do forum contributors look at the BOC events page or obtain the BOC Year Book? My main concern is that few dedicated orchid enthusiasts actually came compared with previous years. The results from our local efforts were very good with numerous people saying they had never seen so many orchids at once before. It is not just this show but from my experience an issue with many of the orchid shows including the last EOC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:04 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 368 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Any further details for Twickenham 2016 ?
BOGA website only says more details nearer the date but we're already less than two weeks away.
I haven't been to a "local" show before (only the main Westminster or Peterborough shows).
Could be interested depending on vendors attending ?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:34 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 453 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
Bit too far for me but I hope all goes well and your hard work pays off Jeff.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:24 pm 

Liked in: 30 posts
Steve
I can never understand why people who have websites don't keep them up to date, and it is just a coincidence that this thread is just about 12 months old so inevitably many people will be confused.
Don't forget that if you miss out at a BOGA event there is always the Congress in Norwich 5/6 November where we have several trade stands including 3 from Germany and 1 from Belgium and 5 from the UK. - See www.british-orchid-council.info for full details.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:11 pm 

Hi Richard,

I’ve never followed the local shows because I mistakenly thought the local shows would be a group of dedicated amateur growers selling off their spare Phal Noids :oops:
I didn’t realise a few major growers would be attending hence my interest in the Twickenham event.
I saw last years mention of Twickenham so I “bumped” it for any response although Rowan’s link from last year results in this years event but with the message “More details nearer the date”.
Twickenham is only half hour train journey for me so I could always go there anyway without much trouble, if not, it’s good to know Norwich isn’t that much further AND a reasonable number of vendors, so thanks for that very useful information.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:31 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Sorry, my oversite for not putting the final list on this site.

Burnham's, Ray Creek, Laneside, Royden, Orchid Alchemy, Frank Roellke, Jac Wubben, Orchid Sundries and Just in Glass plus displays by OSGB, TVOS and Wessex. 10.30 to 4.30 Saturday and 10 to 4.00 on Sunday Entry £2. Free parking and bar refreshments available.

Jeff Hutchings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:44 pm 

No problem Jeff, that's great, many thanks for the info....
Now I can Google their sites to see what they may be taking to the exhibition.

Steve