The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Wild orchid sightings used to track climate change
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 182 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London
My hardiness zone is: 9a
I just found this link the other day and thought I would share:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33652194

If you want to contribute to the surveys and log your wild orchid sightings, the main site is here. It is an interesting project: http://www.orchidobservers.org/

• Email me for site admin issues
• Orchid inspiration (random images from this site for viewing and discussion)
• Orchid growlist | • Orchid wishlist
• Carnivorous plant growlist

Seeking: Aristolochia cathcartii, Encephalartos inopinus, Passiflora incarnata, P. tucumanensis (seeds) Lobelia gloria-montis, L. villosa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United States of America (New York)
My nearest city or region is: Shirley
My hardiness zone is: Group
I have read the article. It's really interesting like you said.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:09 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 276 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
I have seen environmental change and its effect on orchids, and agree that they are great bio indicators. But for every one of us who believe this to be fact, there are two or more who will disagree.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:08 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 9 posts
I live in: France
My nearest city or region is: Paris
As I can see changes in the Alps since the 80s, it's not that much an issue for me.

For exemple:
- oak limit in altitude went up about 200m in 30 years.
- general biodiversity changes, including for orchids.
- populations of birds are changing, some are difficult to see now, or their period of presence is different.
- the time we can open the chalet is earlier and ealier (from end of may to mi april in the last years). In the 80's, in mid april, we had 1-2m of snow.

I'm sure a close survey on species entitled as indicators can be interesting, it should have been started earlier!

And in Europe, it's not much a debate, but it is in the US mostly because oil/coal lobbies prefer their benefits than humanity or biodiversity survival. China is moving fast in the right direction too, which is good, but the country can see directly very bad effects on a large scale, like the move of Gobi desert to the east.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:08 am 

Liked in: 276 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
My thoughts; In soils, the Ph level is important to both activity of soil microorganisms and the availability of nutrients to the plant. Generally, pH values between 5.5 and 7.0 provide and ideal balance between microbial activity and nutrient availability. So if the environment conditions change, I would be concerned about what changes might possibly happen to the Ph, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium levels. If these conditions change the chain is broken between microbial activity and plants and it can effect animals and insects. Its all speculation of how this will play out. I like to think of epiphyte orchids as tropical cactus, that are unable to adapt to fast or server changes to their environment. A undesired change in temperature, light, air, water, soil, humidity can be catastrophic or even certain death.

Now as for the power and fuel industries' profit before life, I could not agree more about this greed and its toll on the environment.
As for China, I have lived and conducted research for almost 9 years now, many reports are not accurate. It is not uncommon to report things are well, when in fact the sky is falling, the Chinese tract record has many black eyes, like many other countries.
Look at all the countries that agree to meet new standards and reduce pollution and C02, do they ever meet their targets.

Nature is a chain that not happy when broken. I have lived over half of my life out side of the USA, and many places I have seen have changed for the worse and many have been in a constant change for 30 years or more.

View us at ocrcchina.com