The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Wishlist for 2014
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wishlist for 2014
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 106 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Nottingham
A short list as I'm now limited for space;

- A FS sanderianum
- Some quality roth species plants
- maybe I'll purchase some roth and sanderianum species flasks
- A FS phrag kovachii
- Would also love to get hold of a selenepedium but to date cannot even trace any and the culture is extremely difficult to duplicate. If anyone knows of any available please pm me.

Also depends on the budget :pray:

Gary

Post subject: Re: Wishlist for 2014
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:15 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 62 posts
My nearest city or region is: Winchester
Hello Gary
If you go down the flask path I will be very interested and will split the costs with you as you have the knowledge in this field.Maybe others will help out as I think this is a good way to go.I seem to remember a flask of sanderianum for 200 dollars somewhere but if split between several of us it would be a good experience for us all.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:05 am 

Brian-G wrote:
Hello Gary
If you go down the flask path I will be very interested and will split the costs with you as you have the knowledge in this field.Maybe others will help out as I think this is a good way to go.I seem to remember a flask of sanderianum for 200 dollars somewhere but if split between several of us it would be a good experience for us all.
Brian

Hi Brian,

If I were going to purchase any, it would be from Sam @ Orchin Inn. The source is very reliable and I know the flasks would be of sound quality. As it's only at the early stages I will contact Sam to find out a good deal more about the parentage, growth habits, timescales etc and come back to this post in the coming months. If then, there are any interested parties we'll go from there. Just a note, that I would think from flask to BS even with some of the latest, you would be looking at 4-5 years min. I don't mind the wait though!! :lol:

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Liked in: 78 posts
My hardiness zone is: 8b -6.7to-9.4
Flasks are a big risk, the margin for the culture of just out of flask seedlings is small. Out of six Phal flasks I have left about 10 seedlings after about a year, the other half of them recently went down with a bacterial/fungal attack caused by I am not sure! Maybe the culture- temp wasn't right. By flowering time I will consider myself very lucky to have 3-5, I may end up with nothing after a £50 spend and years of caring for them.
Gary you have also seen the flasks I did with your seed, after soon to be one year under my care we have tiny young sprouts in a jar! Commercially they have many on the go, so have many lines of plants being knocked out continually.
If you do do it only have a flask with seedlings busting out of the flask!

http://www.koolorchids.co.uk Orchid Growing Info
Join my FaceBook group The Orchid & Gardening Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/633055240086601/
View then Like our business Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/orchidsuppliesuk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:08 pm 

Masdyman wrote:
Flasks are a big risk, the margin for the culture of just out of flask seedlings is small. Out of six Phal flasks I have left about 10 seedlings after about a year, the other half of them recently went down with a bacterial/fungal attack caused by I am not sure! Maybe the culture- temp wasn't right. By flowering time I will consider myself very lucky to have 3-5, I may end up with nothing after a £50 spend and years of caring for them.
Gary you have also seen the flasks I did with your seed, after soon to be one year under my care we have tiny young sprouts in a jar! Commercially they have many on the go, so have many lines of plants being knocked out continually.

Keith,

As I know from previous posts and others that have purchased from Sam, this will be what I'm looking for, especially with species plants like sandy's and roths. I've got quite a bit of info to gather yet from Sam before even I commit but it's something I've been looking at for a while. I'm sure between us we'll get them flasks of those quality St Swithin blooming within the next 5 years!!! :thumbup:

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

carper715 wrote:
Masdyman wrote:

Keith,

As I know from previous posts and others that have purchased from Sam, this will be what I'm looking for, especially with species plants like sandy's and roths. I've got quite a bit of info to gather yet from Sam before even I commit but it's something I've been looking at for a while. I'm sure between us we'll get them flasks of those quality St Swithin blooming within the next 5 years!!! :thumbup:

Gary

Just be cautious Gary as I speak from experience, I have had my hand bitten a few times with flasks and when it happens you are literally chucking money in the air. Next five years! You are optimistic..

Join my FaceBook group The Orchid & Gardening Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/633055240086601/
View then Like our business Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/orchidsuppliesuk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Maybe we could do a lot more by crossing your paphs, I know I could do more with my massies, once it is done all the time for several years you get that continuation of flasks maturing all the time! It is just being motivated and having an area set up with lights. Doesn't need to be massive for our purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:36 pm 

Masdyman wrote:
Maybe we could do a lot more by crossing your paphs, I know I could do more with my massies, once it is done all the time for several years you get that continuation of flasks maturing all the time! It is just being motivated and having an area set up with lights. Doesn't need to be massive for our purpose.

Just a thought. You'd better get your spade out again Keith cos I feel a bigger greenhouse coming on!! At least double or triple the existing would be good. I think we need to plan it when the Mrs is away for a while. It'll be a nice big surprise when she gets back!! :dance:

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm 

Liked in: 62 posts
My nearest city or region is: Winchester
Masdyman wrote:

To hybridise you need to understand chromosone counts and white genes etc. to select the best plants for the purpose of what you are trying to achieve and as only 1 in 1000 seedlings are worth cloning it is best left to the people who have the experience to do this.As someone said to me who has bred an awful lot of quality clones,(In the human world one of the best clones is a certain world boxing champion 2n x4n). Think about it.
Stick with Sam.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Brian-G wrote:
Masdyman wrote:

To hybridise you need to understand chromosone counts and white genes etc. to select the best plants for the purpose of what you are trying to achieve and as only 1 in 1000 seedlings are worth cloning it is best left to the people who have the experience to do this.As someone said to me who has bred an awful lot of quality clones,(In the human world one of the best clones is a certain world boxing champion 2n x4n). Think about it.
Stick with Sam.
Brian

I know a very good Masdevallia grower apart from me :lol: who has produced some of the best Massy hybrids out there. It can be done if you already have a quality collection of plants, we are talking about personal enjoyment and pride of having achieved your own orchids, not mass production.

It can be done with careful selection, especially if you have good clones to start. Gary has very good clones and I have some good ones to.

Species orchids can also be produced for the sole purpose of selling, it isn't too hard, I had some Massy species out of flask and flowering in 3 years.
Granted Paphs are a different kettle of fish or we are about to find out if they are if we get the ones we have going.

It is interesting to flask your own, even if you only produce one plant, the joy of naming and registering that plant would be immense, and to know you flasked and flowered makes it even better.
When I got awarded CC/AM by the RHS for my Massy it was one of my proudest moments and this wasn't one I had produced.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:03 pm 
Starting to put down roots here

Liked in: 115 posts
My nearest city or region is: cambridge
Gary,

I agree with Keith, if you're crossing species or near-species hybrids then you have a decent chance of success, especially if the cross you're trying has succeded before.
When you move into the world of complex paphs then it is another thing entirely and it is made up of many sterile or hard-to-cross clones.
Expect many of the pods to abort for no apparent reason.
If you're doing it for fun then I'd say go for it and see what happens.
It all depends on what your expectations are.
I'll be doing some cypripedium crosses in the spring on the same just for fun basis.

Regards,

David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:12 pm 

The reason I tried the flask with Keith, was that I may have got a very awarded roth clone from In Charm in error and decided to cross this as a trial with my very large quality philippinense. I knew there wouldn't be any bad effects on the phili as it's such a large plant. One of the best paph hybrids if you can get a good one is a St Swithin so this was another reason for me having a go. We hadn't got anything to lose as it's free, just a little patience. I do make considerable enquiries and gather a good deal of information with regards to giving the flasks a good chance of success, even though there's no guarantee. You've got to be optimistic as I am with all my plants but it's the challenge I like. When me & Keith looked the other day, there are seedlings there and I know it could be a while yet, but I'm already planning the next stage.

As far as buying flasks already made are concerned, it's cutting the time down. Your already getting a number of good quality cloned seedlings and they are ready for potting up. Again, there's no guarantee and there's bound to be good ones, poor ones, slow ones, fast ones etc. Yes you've paid 150/200$ but getting a good number to FS is going to be worth a lot more especially with a species like sanderianum. I'm confident in my application and with the additional info that I will get, it's worth a shot.

I bought some very small Michael Koopowitz seedlings (12) a couple of years ago from In Charm and to cut it short, lost 2, sold 5 and still have 7 which will hopefully bloom next year. I've already had my money back so it's been very worthwhile and I intend to keep all of the rest and grow them on.

Attempting to cross other plants in my collection will not be very frequent until they are multigrowth and that I feel the plant is strong enough to support the maturing seedpods for many months.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:29 am 

An update from this post a year ago, strewth, time flies!

I reduced my collection again as I'm concentrating on multigrowth plants. I decided to purchase 2 FS sanderianum and a another sandy hybrid which are settling in nicely. Hopefully, they will flower this year but I'm concentrating on getting a good root system established initially. FS kovachii are still at a premium so I'm against this at the minute. However, the seedling I've got is growing well and put out a new growth, but still a while away from flowering yet. The selenipedium seems a million miles away, but that will be a challenge should it get there.

The flask route is still a consideration but I still need to make further enquiries first. An update on the flask that Keith made is that we have a flask that took and we're deciding when to take them out. They do look healthy but there are only a few, but a couple look multigrowth. These were for nothing but the clones were excellent so the balls rolling. We'll split them when the time is right and grow them on in our own cultural conditions. I've already planned how I'm going to approach this so getting a bit excited but my fingers will be definitely crossed. I will still be looking at about 3 years to get to FS but it will be a great moment and achievement to see, if it gets there. A named plant would also be a great achievement, but that's a long way off, but what a challenge!! :pray:

The 5 MK seedlings I have left are growing fast under my present conditions and they're getting faster and maturing. I'm undecided as to whether they will flower this year but as Hsiao from Taiwan used his best clones for these, the results will be interesting.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:17 pm 

Liked in: 22 posts
My nearest city or region is: London
Just an FYI: Orchid Inn are listed for the European Orchid Show. Few others from around the world, so might be a good time to search for that selenipedium?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:26 pm 

RowanGreen wrote:
Just an FYI: Orchid Inn are listed for the European Orchid Show. Few others from around the world, so might be a good time to search for that selenipedium?

I purchase the majority of my plants from Sam and I possibly sure it's a plant he hasn't got. I will make further enquiries but the only source I think was Ecuagenera and the prices were high. Cultural conditions are totally different for this plant along with the media so it is a task to get it settled and growing. However, it's the only genera I've not got out of the Cypripedioideae group. I'm hoping to attend the show if possible so it would be a good time also to try and acquire one of these in good condition.

Thanks for the reminder

Cheers

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:19 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 397 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
I brought two selenipedium while i was in singapore and iam sure it was from Ecuagenera they were bare root but be very carefull and make sure they have the certs for it. There was very little culture notes around for the genus so i had a lot or reacher to do it got potted in to small charcole chips and resented it when when i finally found a mix that was the only one going. It was equal part tree fern and when i say tree fern i had to shredd it into indovidual strands, and washed sand I potted it in to a shallow clay pan. I was just willing it to survive as it was $250 for only two stems at about 25cm tall. I checked on it daily just to see if it was still green and with in about three weeks of being potted in to the mix and new shoot had formed and was growing strongly.
So I hope you find one, but they get very tall and that was the best mix I found I hope this helps.