The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Passing by the Serres d'Auteuil
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 9 posts
I live in: France
My nearest city or region is: Paris
I was the other day at the Serres d'Auteuil, a garden of the City of Paris. it's a botanical garden since 1761 :royalty-king: , but lately there's a project to extend the tennis stadium of Roland Garros and they want to annex the garden and destroy part of the glasshouses, especially the new ones with the Orchids, begonias, ferns… :teasing-whipyellow:

Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jardin des Serres d'auteuil, Paris Botanical Gardens

There's a league of citizens and association to preserve the place and force the FFT (french federation of tennis) to change plans as there's other options, some even less costly. :violence-swords:

FB group (in French) with links to the project maps and articles (in French)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sauvons-les-serres-dAuteuil/130937310308901?fref=ts

There's an online petition (English text on the page) :angry-fire:
Sauvons les Serres d'Auteuil - Petitions24.net

kotikissa likes this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 am 

Some names:

1. Ludisia discolor
  2. Angraecum…
  3. Paphiopedilum delophyllum ?
  4. Vanilla humblotii
  5. Brassanthe Maikai Mayumi
  6. Masdevallia…
  7. Cattleya labiata
  8. Oncidium ?
  9. Masdevallia…
  10. Cattleya percivaliana
  11. Masdevallia bicolor
  12. Cattleya percivaliana
  13. Calanthes sedenii ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:38 am 

Another go last WE:

Most of them are at the MNHN exhibition right now.
I had very little time to take pics so it's the best I could do. :teasing-whipyellow:

There may be misidentifications, I'll transmit corrections to the gardener as the CITES seizures doesn't mean the labels are correct…

There's still court rulings underway, so the GH are still in danger. Latest development is that the moral rights owners of the historical GH architect Fromigé (family) have issued an official protest as the project endangers the GH and their environment, and rules out the protection decree. :angry-fire:

Last edited by lepetitmartien on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kotikissa likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:07 am 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 393 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
What a gem of a place to have, I hope that the people of the Stade Garros leave it alone. Thanks for the pics.☺

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 am 

Liked in: 311 posts
I live in: Ireland • Éire
My nearest city or region is: Wexford
My hardiness zone is: 9 (usually)
Wow, beautiful plants and superb photography, especially with that Vanda tricolor.

Coming increasingly to the opinion that the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about.

Check out my YouTube channel, Gardening at Douentza : https://www.youtube.com/c/gardeningatdouentza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:11 am 

I have not made updates but I have to…

After 2 defiance votes for the Paris city council, One asking to examine the alternative projet, a second refusing it… The environment minister took position against proposing other solutions using nearby stadiums that are to be reworked shortly (Jean Bouin and Parc des Princes). The prime minister interfered and is definnitely for the FFT project and the building permits have been published a week ago.

The petition is still open for signing, recents events have helped beefed up the signature but the more the merrier, especially if they come from outside France. We're talking about endangering seriously (if not killing) official national collections (crotons, begonias), a few plants as old as the original botanical garden (a few are still coming from the garden of the princes decided there by Louis the XV), the collection of orchids which is one of the largest public here and that we are working to make it coherent and beefed up,

http://www.petitions24.net/serresdauteuil (English text included)

The collective of associations fighting back is to attack all the permits in any means as time is our ally.

They raise fund to help attack the permits (it's the lawyer in fact they have to pay)
For now, the collect is thru:
SPPEF (society for the protection of patrimony and esthetics of France)
http://www.sppef.fr/faire-un-don

(A clearer participative system pointing specifically is on schedule, I'll post it when available)

FNE (France nature environment, and its Ile-de-France branch FEN-IdF, largest environmental federation here, 3000+ associations)
http://www.fne.asso.fr/fr/j-agis/Faire- ... ligne.html

With the olympics candidature, the official project has been beefed up and now is 350-400 m€, the counter project is still in the 273 m€ enveloppe so is a better use of public funds (for a private project…), solving other issues (covering a part of highway, not destroying a tennis court so no need to replace it etc.) And we know it's only a first step, next will be to totally devour the botanical garden and its historical glasshouses (imagine a small Kew invaded by Wimbledon…) The new court is to have GH (inspired by the Princess of Wales at Kew) save it's a second thought, and we don't see the coherence with large GH with cardinal orientations, it'll be a climate nightmare, not mentioning the collections will have to be moved and adapted twice in 2 years, a part is even scheduled to be stockpiled in a place (Parc Floral) that is known for killing plants, as the buildings are not made for it at all… The court will generate movements of 45000 people a day, not what a botanical garden is made to support since its opening in the current form in 1898. The historical GH are still using the original heating system, which is bad for plants loving air wetness, if the historical GH are not andagered, it's the "hot" GH that are state of the art, reworked totally in 2005 that are at stake, with their 9 sections dedicated (2 for orchids). Really, without action it's getting desperate so we fight back. :angry-fire:

Remember it's not only the orchids, it's the whole botanical collection that is at stake (orchids, ferns, begonias, crotons, and more…) Trees, sometimes unique to Paris, France or Europe, are threatened, some are to be moved, others with have their roots cut by the court.

Please, pass the word to all your friends all over the world, all plant lovers. The more bad advertisement we make to the position of the city Mayor Mrs Anne Hidalgo and the FFT, the BETTER. :D Any little protest counts, she really doesn't understand the issues at all (a bit of a concrete lover given her priorities…). You can write to the mayor from the city website:

Mayor's contact: :teasing-neener:
http://www.paris.fr/municipalite/la-mai ... dalgo-2252
Follow the link "formulaire de contact"

And thanks in advance for the Serres D'auteuil :D :violence-swords:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardin_de ... %27Auteuil
http://equipement.paris.fr/jardin-des-s ... teuil-1780