The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - What I do (Work Wise)
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What I do (Work Wise)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:10 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 397 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
Hi

Well as most of you know I took a Heitus well here's why, Some of you know I am a horticultrist well I mainly do Nursery work.
I started a new job this year so and it has been very hectic, so far the nursery has just produced over 9000 plants. The nursery supplies the small garden centre with plants. So it has been a busy year and still not finished growing yet, we dont have any heat in there we only use what the sun gives us. The nursery tunnel it 20ft wide and 84 ft long.
Mainly grow hardy perrenials and slowly getting lots of nice stud/stock plants of strange and weird and rare plants, as well as doing a few little annuals on the side.
Also slowly produceing a few of my hybrids as well.
All plant are mainly grown from cutting divisions and seed but also from plug plants from a uk suppilers.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 124.06 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 155.17 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 169.87 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 178.14 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 181.91 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 191.57 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 201.78 KiB | Viewed 5837 times ]

OldConkerwood likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Liked in: 78 posts
My nearest city or region is: Nottingham
My hardiness zone is: 8b -6.7to-9.4
Looks great I hope it goes well for you!

http://www.koolorchids.co.uk Orchid Growing Info
Join my FaceBook group The Orchid & Gardening Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/633055240086601/
View then Like our business Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/orchidsuppliesuk

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 am 

Liked in: 393 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
It all looks remarkably neat and tidy.

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:25 pm 

Yes i am very much on keeping everything neat and tidy, so i can easily take stoke and check all the plants.
We are 90% organic they only chemicals we use is nippon ant gel that are in reusabel ant traps so that only anit can get in there and fugal spray if there is an out break of powery mildew.
So i make sure all plants stay and neat an clean so i am able to provent any outbreaks so I dont have to spray any chemicals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 am 

Liked in: 311 posts
I live in: Ireland • Éire
My nearest city or region is: Wexford
My hardiness zone is: 9 (usually)
Well, you can give us all the tips, Chris!
I propagate a small number of plants each year for sale at my open days but it is so hard to squeeze them into the greenhouse, what with all the lovely plants I'm growing just for myself. lol.

Coming increasingly to the opinion that the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about.

Check out my YouTube channel, Gardening at Douentza : https://www.youtube.com/c/gardeningatdouentza

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:09 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 1 post
I live in: United Kingdom (Scotland)
My nearest city or region is: dundee
very, very tidy!

I to work as a horticulturist/gardener, currently at glamis castle, and my prop house/cold fames aren't any where near that clean, then again i've got 4 acres of walled garden to maintain for the public so that takes priority...

I'd like to maybe swap some plants if you have interesting herbaceous material on the go?

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 pm 

airconednightmare wrote:
very, very tidy!

I to work as a horticulturist/gardener, currently at glamis castle, and my prop house/cold fames aren't any where near that clean, then again i've got 4 acres of walled garden to maintain for the public so that takes priority...

I'd like to maybe swap some plants if you have interesting herbaceous material on the go?

That sounds like a great job, but I do prefer production side more than maintanance side lol.
I will defo be intgrested in swaps weather we have anything your intrested in or weather privet plants I have your intrested in we will have to discusse further. It dose take a lot of time keeping everything tidy in the nursery and keeping on top of the plant area to as well as the rest of the sight. But i love it the tunnel gets fully cleaned once and, some plants get cleaned daily so it dosent take that much time but once or twice every few months the tunnel looks like a bomb has hit it when plant get moved out for sale.

Hi Racheal If i can answer any of the questions I will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:01 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 62 posts
My nearest city or region is: Winchester
The spirit with which you write is charming.It takes me back to when I first started out. Good luck with this venture and enjoy all that lies ahead. Tough times their will be but they will be outnumbered by the determination and willingness to succeed.Learn to propogate in a proffesional mode ie take a tray of 84 cuttings with no losses and you will be on the road to success. I have propogated over 200,000 cuttings of most plants so if you need advicefeel free to contact me via email.
Brian

blondie likes this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:36 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 1 post
I live in: United Kingdom (Scotland)
My nearest city or region is: dundee
blondie wrote:
airconednightmare wrote:
very, very tidy!

That sounds like a great job, but I do prefer production side more than maintanance side lol.
I will defo be intgrested in swaps weather we have anything your intrested in or weather privet plants I have your intrested in we will have to discusse further. It dose take a lot of time keeping everything tidy in the nursery and keeping on top of the plant area to as well as the rest of the sight. But i love it the tunnel gets fully cleaned once and, some plants get cleaned daily so it dosent take that much time but once or twice every few months the tunnel looks like a bomb has hit it when plant get moved out for sale.

Hi Racheal If i can answer any of the questions I will.

It is indeed a great job, I get to do a bit of everything, prop, weeding, veg gardening, growing grapes for the queen etc but it's the garden design and plantsmanship which really does it for me. there's nothing like growing and propagating plants and then getting to arrange them into a planting which gives people pleasure. If i had a nursery, i'd never want to sell anything! just swap things until i had everything, which is of course impossible...

we don't need any hedging plants at the moment, just herbaceous perennials and maybe some smaller shrubs for shade.

what i have to offer is also largely herbaceous perennials, i'll get a list of what we have put together.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 3 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lincolnshire
What sort of temperature has the tunnel been through the winter ? Have you used any form of heater ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm 

Dan wrote:
What sort of temperature has the tunnel been through the winter ? Have you used any form of heater ?

There is no heat what so ever in there it only heats up when the soon heats it up. I have had the inside freeze but not the pots the water but had about a couple of mill of ice but that was it but we have been lucky in the mild weather to be honest .
The coldest I would say would be about -1 would have been the coldest so far.