The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Cork bark for reptiles and mounting orchids?!
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:26 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London
Hi everyone,

I found a few nice pieces of cork bark from pet stores (pets at home) and also eBay, says "reptile vivarium wood cork bark", it doesn't say what type of wood it is but I would assume it might be oak...
What are your suggestions about this, is it worth mounting orchid to it or it will deteriorate too soon and cause more problems?
Please advise!

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:32 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 35 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (Scotland)
My nearest city or region is: Edinburgh
I've mounted orchids in my terrarium on thick cork bark found in reptile shops with no problems. I keep geckos in some of my vivariums with the orchids too!

Generally it's a bit cheaper going to aquarium/reptile shops than pets at home and you generally get better choice of the pieces but it's all been fine for me so far! Doesn't break down very fast at all, I've been using it at decoration for my geckos for years and it's been hard wearing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:04 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 22 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: West Yorkshire
biohazard156 wrote:
I've mounted orchids in my terrarium on thick cork bark found in reptile shops with no problems. I keep geckos in some of my vivariums with the orchids too!

Generally it's a bit cheaper going to aquarium/reptile shops than pets at home and you generally get better choice of the pieces but it's all been fine for me so far! Doesn't break down very fast at all, I've been using it at decoration for my geckos for years and it's been hard wearing!

Same here though I found it a lot cheaper from the local 'pets at home'. I'm looking at re-doing my 'terrarium' some time soon so I shall be back there. They had some incredible shapes and sizes in last time.