The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - New Orchid! First Time Ever! Please Help!
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:34 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: BIRMINGHAM
:romance-smileyheart: I purchased a orchid from the store yesterday at a bargain price, :twocents-mytwocents: but I don't know how to care for it. The flowers have fallen off (Which is probably why it was discounted) but I'm pretty sure it'll bud again?

How do I make sure the plant still flowers? It's nearing winter now too so do I have to make sure the plant doesn't get cold? (Sounds silly but do plants even get cold?) :think:

It's a twin stem orchid that had (white flowers I think?) :happy-smileyflower: I know it's had flowers they just dropped off naturally in the store. How long till they grow back again?
Oh also, it's pretty tall, at least 30cm!

Please help me & tell me how to make sure the orchid doesn't die and flower again!:text-imnewhere:

Attachments:
tall.jpg
tall.jpg [ 122.9 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
buds.jpg
buds.jpg [ 44.59 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 12 posts
My nearest city or region is: London
Hi,

The orchid you got is called Phalaenopsis, I suggest you look up on youtube MissOrchidGirl and just view all videos how to care for it.
P.S This plant is tropical so please keep it warm between 18c to 30c but never in direct sunlight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

IHaveNoNewOrchids wrote:
Hi,

The orchid you got is called Phalaenopsis, I suggest you look up on youtube MissOrchidGirl and just view all videos how to care for it.
P.S This plant is tropical so please keep it warm between 18c to 30c but never in direct sunlight.

Oh woah, the label on the front only says twin stem orchid, how on earth did you figure out the species from my pictures!? :clap: I'll have a look now on youtube!
Oh okay, I guess I'll just keep it away from the windows, sunlight gets into the rooms and hallway but that's not direct sunlight though right?
In a nutshell though, I don't have to cut the stem or anything for the flowers to grow back? I've been getting people telling me to cut it but I really don't want to do that!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

ScarletLycrois wrote:
IHaveNoNewOrchids wrote:
Hi,

Oh woah, the label on the front only says twin stem orchid, how on earth did you figure out the species from my pictures!? :clap: I'll have a look now on youtube!
Oh okay, I guess I'll just keep it away from the windows, sunlight gets into the rooms and hallway but that's not direct sunlight though right?
In a nutshell though, I don't have to cut the stem or anything for the flowers to grow back? I've been getting people telling me to cut it but I really don't want to do that!
it's the most widespread orchid there is, I would guess, from garden centres to Asda. It's a good start with orchids as it's quite hardy. It has been hybridised to be this way. It will be happy with some filtered sunlight, so if you have a white net curtain it will absolutely love to be on windowsill. The old flower spikes might bloom again so leave them, if they get bone dry then you have to cut them and wait for some new ones to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

IHaveNoNewOrchids wrote:
ScarletLycrois wrote:
IHaveNoNewOrchids wrote:
Hi,

it's the most widespread orchid there is, I would guess, from garden centres to Asda. It's a good start with orchids as it's quite hardy. It has been hybridised to be this way. It will be happy with some filtered sunlight, so if you have a white net curtain it will absolutely love to be on windowsill. The old flower spikes might bloom again so leave them, if they get bone dry then you have to cut them and wait for some new ones to grow.

Oh wow thank you so much!
I don't think they'd get dry, I'm watering them small amounts of water during the week so I don't think they will dry out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:30 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

ScarletLycrois wrote:
IHaveNoNewOrchids wrote:
ScarletLycrois wrote:
[quote="IHaveNoNewOrchids"]Hi,

Oh wow thank you so much!
I don't think they'd get dry, I'm watering them small amounts of water during the week so I don't think they will dry out.[/quote] again, please do check the suggestion of MissOrchidGirl she has loads of videos about watering, light, fertiliser and many other , you should be watering around once a week but never on top of the plant. Good luck :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:05 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 374 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
ScarletLycrois wrote:
I purchased a orchid from the store yesterday at a bargain price, but I don't know how to care for it. The flowers have fallen off (Which is probably why it was discounted) but I'm pretty sure it'll bud again?
How do I make sure the plant still flowers? It's nearing winter now too so do I have to make sure the plant doesn't get cold? (Sounds silly but do plants even get cold?) :think:
It's a twin stem orchid

Hi,
If that was sold to you as a twin-stemmed orchid then you should take it back and get a refund as it looks like you were sold one with 3 stems, not 2 !!!

Can't add much to what's already been said, keep plant in warm conditions (room temperatures) and a once a week watering should be enough but it does look like your plant will still put some more flowers out as the end buds although small look quite plump, usually when a Phal stem has finished producing flowers, the final end bud is barely noticeable.
Other than that, new stems could come at anytime, maybe a year latest, one of mine has just finished flowering and is now putting out another new stem already so there's no telling.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 am 
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings

Liked in: 38 posts
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
If the plant is strong you can cut the stems back to one of the upper nodes. If you look at the stems you will see that they have small green scales all the way up, well spaced out. Your plant may bud from the tips but for a neater display it might be better to snip the stems about an inch above highest node that hasn't already had a flower, and the stems will most likely produce one or maybe more branches of flowers. Up to you, but its what I would do.

As to care, bright filtered light will be fine, south facing window during winter, move it out of direct sun during summer. Water when it is getting dry. You will notice the roots are a silver white colour when dry, turning green when wet. You are aiming for watering as the roots in the pot start to turn back to silver grey. Room temperature will be fine. If you're comfortable, your orchid most likely is too, provided you keep it away from radiators.

Hopefully, you'll have removed that plastic sleeve by now.

Teli.

http://www.kevsorchids.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 458 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
The only thing I can add to the above is that if you let all the flowers die on the spike ( stem ) then the spike will soon die and will have to be cut at the base and it will take a further year to bloom. You can cut this time down drastically by cutting the spike above a node ( as explained above ) whilst there are a couple of flowers still on the stem. This will keep the sap rising up the spike and will ( should ) produce another flowering spike fairly quickly ----- for orchids that is!!!!
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Oh man I'm kinda confused with the whole cutting scenario. I like how tall it is now so don't really want to make it short, but I also don't want to prevent it from flowering again!
Do I really need to remove it from the plastic? I'd thought when I spray it with water it'll make a nice humid touch for the plant like in hot countries.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

ScarletLycrois wrote:
Oh man I'm kinda confused with the whole cutting scenario. I like how tall it is now so don't really want to make it short, but I also don't want to prevent it from flowering again!
Do I really need to remove it from the plastic? I'd thought when I spray it with water it'll make a nice humid touch for the plant like in hot countries.

Sorry to say, please remove the plastic, it prevents air flow and will keep your plant not humid but wet which will cause rot. They do need air movement around roots and leaves. Please never water on top of the plant, rather submerge just the plastic pot in the water, let the roots drink as much water as they need and take it out. Make sure you don't leave the pot in puddle of water. Orchids the same as humans don't like to have wet head or wet feet. Don't be worried about asking questions even if they might sound silly we all were there once.