The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Coelogyne ochracea var lemoninana
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:54 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 397 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
Hi

So i got this a few months ago and I am suprised, its flowered as its small division. Well i am rather happy it is, lovely flower i am torn between the normal on and this one. They are both lovely but I do like how this flower is quite sutle.

I am suprised it is very fragrant, but not spicy and honey like the normal form, this is like a clean spice like fragrance.

Hopefully it will get better and better, looks like I will get a lovely display from the normal species as well.

Attachments:
Coelogyne ochracea var lemoniana 1.jpg
Coelogyne ochracea var lemoniana 1.jpg [ 165.39 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]
Coelogyne ochracea var lemoniana 2.jpg
Coelogyne ochracea var lemoniana 2.jpg [ 85.07 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]
Coelogyne ochracea var lemoniana 3.jpg
Coelogyne ochracea var lemoniana 3.jpg [ 136.4 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]

4 people like this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 394 posts
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
Looks very nice. I wish my ochracea would flower a bit more regularly!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 274 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
I like the colors.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:21 pm 

Liked in: 368 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Lovely specimen, I've tried many times to grow ochracea, on the cooler kitchen window sill, outside, anywhere but my warm growroom.

I got a huge plant from Burnhams years ago but all of mine went downhill, usually with dead/brown leaf tips.

I can only stand and admire yours !

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:03 pm 

That I really don't do anything special with them they are kept at a min of 16C this one has been watered once a week since I received it about a month ago. My normal version it as the same temps and I might water that from October till mid to end of March once a no th to once every two months, it looks like it might have buds.

steve i find nearly all my coelogynes with the exception of mooreana all get brown tips irrigarless of what I do to them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 pm 

blondie wrote:
That I really don't do anything special with them they are kept at a min of 16C this one has been watered once a week since I received it about a month ago. My normal version it as the same temps and I might water that from October till mid to end of March once a no th to once every two months, it looks like it might have buds.

steve i find nearly all my coelogynes with the exception of mooreana all get brown tips irrigarless of what I do to them.

Wow, that seems awfully hot for ochracea. I tried mine once at min 15C and it did really badly, but was probably too dark as well, it seemed to deyhdrate even though it was watered. I know one guy was growing it outside over winter in cornwall for a while.

I like coelogynes and have twenty species or so, but some of them are really quite picky and go downhill for somewhat mystifying reasons in my care!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:47 pm 

SilverShaded wrote:
blondie wrote:

Wow, that seems awfully hot for ochracea. I tried mine once at min 15C and it did really badly, but was probably too dark as well, it seemed to deyhdrate even though it was watered. I know one guy was growing it outside over winter in cornwall for a while.

I like coelogynes and have twenty species or so, but some of them are really quite picky and go downhill for somewhat mystifying reasons in my care!

Well here's my normal C. ochracea it looks like it is going to flower some of the leafs are a bit tatty, but it did get a bit of mealy and black mold over the winter. I do keep this on the drier side over the winter like all my cooler growing one they live nex to the glass. So most of the greenhouse will be 16C but next the glass its going to be a lot cooler.

I was very succesful with my first plant of this then I lost it along with the most of the collection, when I came back I brought a new one that really struggled never flowered and slowly died. The i was at a show and before I knew it id had made its way home with me, but this one has done really well for me.

But i do have a few Coelogynes that i am struggleing with this year.

Attachments:
coelogyne.jpg
coelogyne.jpg [ 217.38 KiB | Viewed 976 times ]
coelogyne 1.jpg
coelogyne 1.jpg [ 124.55 KiB | Viewed 976 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:16 pm 

well I'm not sure if mine is going to flower again or not this year, it's a bit behind yours as it's been cooler. I nearly killed a pandurata, but it's gradually recovering in a terrarium in the house. Actually rochusenni is proving to be rather easy which is a total surprise as my greenhouse is not hot! I have others which proving really awkward.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

I can't not grow rochusennii at all no matter what I do with it.

Pandora always grew like a weed for me butmi personally don't grow it anymore ad mom too cold for it.

Personally I am no gorwing and looking for smaller coelogyne species as space is now my biggest issue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:19 pm 

I think we got lucky with rochusenii, i honestly thought it would just die but we gave it a shot anyway, got two different clones from thai growers both are doing well, neither have flowered yet but both were just snippings of the main plants so need to establish for a while yet. Hopefully we might get a flower this year.

I moved my dayana last year from one place to another in the greenhouse and since then its gone crazy, grown into a huge plant and today just spotted two flower spikes coming of a single pseudobulb, hope we get more. Similar with tomentosa. They all seem to prefer one end of the greenhouse to the other.

But then we have marmorata which nearly died, xyrekes - one died, other one looks ok(ish), speciosa died and a few others. Some seem really fussy about watering habits, light, temperature, compost... rot the roots off at the wrong time of year and its game over it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 pm 

Here's mine, growing but rarely flowering, i've just put it outside as it seemed to perk up a lot when it was out last autumn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:13 am 

It is strange how one orchid of the same species will respond for one and not the other.
I must say mine is in chunked bark than I would like and will be re-potted this year.
Your looks healthy so don't know why it would flower, maybe give it a potash feed.