The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Growing outside
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Growing outside
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:57 pm 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 396 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
Just got back from cornwall and had a very interesting chat with a gardner down there who had succesfully grown and flowered a cristata outside. Ok thats cornwall, but has anyone tried in any other areas of the country?

Post subject: Re: Growing outside
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:19 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 101 posts
My nearest city or region is: Pinner
Hi
I have been away a while and just seen this post. I have a good sized Cristata and have tried growing it both outside and inside. In my opinion so long as you can keep the greenhouse temp down to reasonable levels it is best grown inside. I put that down to discipline. In the Greenhouse you know it will need watering regularly but outside one has a tendency to overlook it on dull days. These plants have a very big root system that soon fills any container so they need almost constant watering during the growing period and occasionally during the short dormant time also. I water with feed, half strength every watering, which is every other day. It is in a 13" hanging basket and gets about two pints each watering. OK, it runs out easily, but that is just about enough to last it two days.

I did hang it outside under a tree a couple of years, but I am sure that the lack of flowers those years was down to a lack of light during the growing period as it was a very full canopy on the tree.

It is in the lightest part of the Greenhouse this year and although it was slow to start in to growth it is romping away now, and appears to have more new shoots than ever before. It is getting a general feed at present but I will change to a tomato feed in mid August. I reduce watering to once a week during November and early December. I keep my Greenhouse between 45 and 55 in the daytime and therefore come Christmas it is starting to think about flowering so I go back to watering every other day. It works for me, but you should be careful if you temp in lower than mine.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:37 pm 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I keep mine colder than yours over winter, min 4C but usually a bit higher, its never been a problem and flowers ever year. What i was interested in was if anyone grows anything outside over winter. In cornwall i saw kingianum growing outside, i have enough spare ones that i might give it a try (protected from rain). I dont have a spare cristata but mines pretty big and i guess i could try a cutting easily enough, they are supposed to grow above the snow line in the himalayas. I have also tried nobile hybrids outside and light frosts were no problem, rain was more of a problem so kept dry it might be ok.

I wondered if anyone had tried any other types?

(here we get few frosts and rarely less than -3C. Our lemon grass from thailand survived outside last year with no problems at all.).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:44 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 22 posts
My nearest city or region is: West Yorkshire
Steve&Doreen wrote:
Hi
In my opinion so long as you can keep the greenhouse temp down to reasonable levels it is best grown inside.

What do you consider as reasonable levels? For a, so called, beginners plant mine is driving me up the wall. Did very well when I first got it but then went rapidly downhill. This year I cleaned it off and dumped it in LECA and it now seems to have settled down a bit (about 8 or so new growth points). It is outside though and hence my question about temps. I'm tempted to bring it indoors but that would be a constant low 20's ATM with less light. (I'm looking for growth rather than flowers).

Sorry SilverShaded. Can't offer any advice other than to say that if your Coelogyne cristata experiment fails then you can have my Coelogyne compostata as a replacement.

Beginners plant my ****.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 pm 

Hud, in the summer they can easily take high temps, well over 30C and mine has been over 40C most summers on the hottest days, ideal is between 20 and 30C, its just in the short winters they get much colder in the wild, and they dont like it hot around flowering time.

They can be very slow growing outside, but i found cristata, mooreana & barbata all do well outside in full sun in the summer. I tried lawrenceana outside but the leaves scorch in the sun, and keeping it wet enough was a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 459 posts
My nearest city or region is: Lytham St Annes
For what its worth in the months June -Sept I keep my Angraecums outside and not under cover consequently in this part of the country they are sopping wet for at least 3 days out of every seven. The root growth on them is fantastic, they get the morning sun but only a couple of hours in the afternoon. I also have a Sophronitis coccinea and a cattleya outside ( just for an experiment ) so coelogynes should do vey well outside.

Ed

SilverShaded likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:31 am 

Ive just moved one Coel. mooreana clone outside, after closer inspection i realised it wasnt doing so great, i think maybe my conservatory temperature had got just too hot for it (although we havent exactly had a lot if sun this year). It might have been too dry as well, big pot, wet at the bottom, dry at the top, oops...