The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - My orchidarium
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My orchidarium
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: Jamaica
My nearest city or region is: Kingston
Hi, and warmest thanks for the assistance offered!

First, I live in Jamaica. Here we got many orchids in the wild, and I send them often enough to orchid growers worldwide. The room temperature is 32 °C, and inside the small orchidarium I measure 36 °C, due to the fact that my two 4x4cm cooling plates have not yet arrived (from Ebay). At this moment, I cannot yet determine the amount of humidity, those devices aren't here yet, too.

I am not even sure, which orchids are inside. Maybe some of you can assist me here. The very small ones are taken from the rainforest between the peaks of the Blue Mountains. But the two bigger ones are all that remains from all my baby orchids I had, after unidentified neighbors decided that they must have my orchids and stole them from my garden when I was away for some time (they couldn't even keep them alive). But I can mention all the types I once had, and you can hopefully assign the one or another name to them.

It is hard to buy equipment on Ebay, as PP does not yet accept credit cards issued by Jamaican banks. So the only way for me to buy something on Ebay is, when someone has bought something from me and transferred money to my existing PP account. That is, why the purchase is slower than I can afford (in terms of time the orchids have to survive without proper equipment).

Here's the list of all baby orchids I had:
- Grammatophyllum () scriptum var. tigrinu
- Aranda prapin
- Aranthera Annie Black
- Ascocentrum curvifolium
- Ascocentrum garayi
- Brassiacattleya 'Myrtle Sammy' (Brassia subulifolia x Cattleya bowringiana)
- Brassolaeliocattleya 'Rustic Spots' (Cattleya Landate x Brassolalia Richard Mueller)
- Bulbophyllum ssp
- Bulbophyllum vaginatum
- Cattleya (C.) amethystoglosso
- Cattleya (C.) Lulu Land
- Dendrobium (Den.) Black Spider
- Dendrobium (Den.) Little Dog
- Dendrophylax funalis
- Encyclia (Enc.) tampensis alba
- Laeliocattleya 'Trick or Treat' (L. icarus x Lc. alma) (HCC-AOS)
- Myrmecophila (Mcp.) grandiflora
- Myrmecophila (Mcp.) tibicinis
- Myrmecophila thomsoniana var. aurea
- Potinara 'Hwa Yuan Gold YK #2'
- Potinara 'Twenty Four Carat' (Lea AM.AOS x Mcp. brysiana)
- Prosthechea (Psh.) cochleata - syn. Epidendrum (Epi.) lancifolium
- Schomburgkia (Schom.) wallisii

I bought them from Mr. Claude Hamilton who is living close to me. Who he is? Find out!
If anyone of you is interested in an orchid exchange, please PM me.

But for now, any assistance with my orchidarium is welcome.

The leaves of the two rainforest orchids are turning brown.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:45 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 5 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (Scotland)
My nearest city or region is: Edinburgh
Hello again,

I'm not very sure which orchids you have in your case - but I can almost guarantee that it's too hot and wet in there which is causing you plants to rot. You mention cooling plates. Are they peltier coolers by any chance? I'm afraid to say they don't work in this kind of setup, unless you have a massive heatsink and fan attached to each one. You'll be lucky if you can lower the temperature by 1 or 2 degrees maximum. There's lots of information on the Internet regarding peltier plates. I thought they were the answer to my prayers a few years back, but they produce a lot of heat as well as cooling, and trying to utilise that cooling in an orchidarium is very complicated indeed. Why do you not just grow your orchids outside? If I lived in Jamaica I'd be so excited to have a garden full of orchids!

Cheers :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Liked in: 19 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London
I am glad that Cam has answered, as he really will know how to best set the terrarium for orchid growing.

I grow only cool growing plants (Pleurothallis and Restrepia) in my two terrariums, and they don't need a lot of work.

I am sure that 36 celsius is far too hot for any orchids to grow in. Secondly, I am not sure what type of lights you are using in there, but I don't think what you are using is suitable. I would use either lighting which is specilised for growing plants, or I would try to move the terrarium to an area where it gets natural light. This is what I have done with my two terrariums, which have no artificial light. They are in front of a window, so they get plenty of light. There is a sprinkling system attached to a water reservoir, and it sprays a good amount of water for two minutes three times a day, and one more minute at the end of the evening (total 7 minutes in a day). To keep temperatures down, I have 4 fan units on top of the larger tank (2 blowing in and two blowing out), and 2 fans on the smaller terrarium (one blowing in, one blowing out). My plants do very well in there, but even without the lighting, temperatures can sometimes get a little hotter than I would like it.

As Cam says, if I were you I would not bother growing them inside a terrarium. If your neighbours are stealing them from your garden, why not grow them in pots and you can move them inside when necessary, so your neighbours can not steal them.

I hope you get everything that you need sorted and can make your plants happy.

Francis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:22 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

I live in: Jamaica
My nearest city or region is: Kingston
They might steal them any time I am not with the plants. So it is, at this moment, a no. But I am working on getting a movement-activated camera system to my plant area, then I can at least see who it did and claim back.

For now it is the orchidarium.

I opened now the cover and added a mosquito mesh to prevent mosquitoes to fly in and breed. I also start to produce larger blocks of ice, and will put them often inside, instead of liquid water - this way I can cool down in a basic way, for now, until I get better means of cooling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Liked in: 78 posts
My nearest city or region is: Nottingham
My hardiness zone is: 8b -6.7to-9.4
Simple one this, it just looks too wet and if you are getting 36c too hot too, short periods of extremes and you should be OK but if it is regular then it will damage.
Try and get nearer to a maximum of 30c if you can or lower, my greenhouse max has been 32c for a short period without harm for cool orchids.
Let them dry between watering as the humidity will still be high in there to keep them happy enough. Water also with a pump sprayer if you aren't already as this will limit the amount of water that remain in there. I watered with a watering can the other week but the problem with this is it fills the bottom very quickly and that water can remain inside the unit for a long time.
Try and keep the base just moist, not flooded or soaked.

http://www.koolorchids.co.uk Orchid Growing Info
Join my FaceBook group The Orchid & Gardening Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/633055240086601/
View then Like our business Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/orchidsuppliesuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

My nearest city or region is: Harrow
Hi,

How are you powering the Phobya fans please?