The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - For anyone considering buying a T5 light
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:51 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 114 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Leicester
If anyone is considering buying a T5 light unit for a growing area, think carefully about the environmental conditions and particularly the humidity. There are many grow lights available branded Lightwave, Maxibright etc which are being sold specifically for grow tents and the likes. As far as I can gather the IP rating for these units is 41 which means they are only suitable for light condensation and no direct spray of water. If you are planning to keep Draculas and the like and require the humidity to be increased to at least 70% and be more likely 80%+ then you should really be using a light unit rated at IP65. After trawling Google I've managed to find some of these light units from qvsdirect.com Product code: LFCRHFT5254 and CEF Part Code: NCF254 Stock Code: 0618-0259 I don't know the price of the units from CEF but the ones from qvs £27.54 would make the cost of making an equivalent lighting unit to the Maxibright or lightwave 8 tube 4ft unit cheaper and safer for use in a high humidity environment.