The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - cymbidiums with dry and curling leaves
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:11 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: norfolk
Hi every one,

I am new to orchids and have been looking on the forum for quite a while, reading the message that sonicles wrote prompted me to write for advice, I too started spring last year with a couple of phalaenopsis in a conservatory these grew to several, it started to get hot in there during the day so decided to build what I call a green shed this is because it is made of polycarb and shiplap this is 11x8 I moved the plants in and every thing was doing fine, I started to buy plants from a couple of garden centres who had a variety of easy to grow ones, touch wood haven't lost any yet. I had a small 7x7 green shed that I built a couple of years ago this was to keep primula auraculas which needed to be dry but plenty of air movement these have since gone so decided to convert it for my cymbidiums which have been living in the other one, front has timber framed polycarb door, 30"x18" opening windows each side and vouvre vents under, sides have 4'x4' windows, back has two vouvre vents shoulder height and apex roof. The shiplap areas have been insulated and covered with 11mm stirling board, all polycarb windows have been double glazed, I have a fan going all time and a extractor fan in the apex on from about 9to5 I have now noticed some of the cybidiums have started get curly leaves and a dry look, they seem to be healthy either in flower or spikes coming, any advice?

regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:31 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 393 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Roy is it possible for you to post a pic of the problem plant/s?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Hi Terry
sorry but Im not gend up enough to put pictures on, I cannot even send texts on the phone I have

Roy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm 

You will just have to practice at some time with pics. In the meantime it's a bit difficult to diagnose the problem without a visual presentation of the symptoms. What i can say is that every year some leaves on your Cyms will dry up, turn brown and fall off and this is perfectly normal for the older pseudobulbs to do.

I'm not so sure about the curly leaves though. One person's curl is anothers crinkle and so on. Just don't let the Cyms get too hot in their home particularly when the sun gets out as the days warm up. Keep them watered so they don't dry out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:07 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

the curls are towards the ends of the leaves, could it be humidity
various books talk about humidity but none mention what is ideal mine reaches about 75/80% at night and about 45/50% during day, the plants are on timber frames these have gravel trays set in them with about 11/2" of water the plants are on what I call egg trays rigid plastic with square holes these are used in pond filters I also have a water feature under the shelves to keep the humidity up, is it to low

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:19 am 

royclrk1 wrote:
the curls are towards the ends of the leaves, could it be humidity
various books talk about humidity but none mention what is ideal mine reaches about 75/80% at night and about 45/50% during day, the plants are on timber frames these have gravel trays set in them with about 11/2" of water the plants are on what I call egg trays rigid plastic with square holes these are used in pond filters I also have a water feature under the shelves to keep the humidity up, is it to low

There is nothing in the way you describe your growing conditions that makes me think there is something wrong. I do not try and raise the humidity for my cyms. In the winter they are in a greenhouse with heating set to keep them above about 8C. Humidity is what it is. In the summer I do spray the plants and water the floor if it gets hot but that is more to keep the plants cool than to give extra humidity.