The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Hi guys! Newbie in need of help
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:27 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Coventry
My hardiness zone is: Group
Hi guys, I'm new here and new to orchids too, I'm hoping some of you fantastic people could offer your opinion/advice, I got an orchid for Christmas and things are not going well, it had no stem when I got it, I don't even know what colour flowers are going to be let alone species, but the leaves are now wilting really badly and I'm not sure if it can be saved or not, I wondered what you guys would suggest, is it a complete gonna or have you got any advice to help bring it back to the full beauty it should be. I was told it could be from under watering and so I have given the roots a soak in some water for 10minutes, which was suggested by a friend but now have been told it could also be from over watering and I might have caused more damage.
Thanks in advance
Kayleigh :wave:

Attachments:
phpuu7S6IAM.jpg
phpuu7S6IAM.jpg [ 32.56 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Hello Kayleigh and welcome to the forum. It's been a bit quiet here of late but hopefully you can get some help. The plant you have is a phalaenopsis (phal) but unfortunately the pic you posted is so small that once it is enlarged it loses definition so it is a bit difficult to see what is going on.

However from what I can see it does look as if the leaves are limp and that would indicate a lack of water uptake by your plant. This can happen if you have under watered it, and only you will know that, but about once every two weeks at this time of year should be OK. It can also happen if you have overwatered it or allowed it to stand in water and the roots have rotted.

You will have to investigate to see if the roots are OK.

If you can see either grey or green roots in the pot then they are still alive and underwatering is probably the problem. If the roots are black and squishy then they have rotted and the plant has probably been over watered. Let us know what you find.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
My nearest city or region is: Coventry
My hardiness zone is: Group
Thanks for you reply Terry, roots are still green, there are some silvery/grey ones, I've removed some of the bark medium mainly because I had to remove it to see roots and then it was so tightly packed before that I couldn't physically get it all back in.
I was watering once every two weeks, same as you suggested but I'm guessing I wasn't putting enough water in when watering.
I'm hoping after the good watering the other day and adding more water in every two weeks it will hopefully perk back up.
Kayleigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm 

Liked in: 396 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Fingers crossed for you Kayleigh. Watering is always a problem with orchids as it is dependent on ambient temperatures, the medium the plant is in and the stage of growth the plant is experiencing. The other thing to be aware of is the state of the medium in the pot. If you notice that it is breaking down or too tightly compacted then it would be a good idea to replace it with new bark.