The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Glory Days
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Glory Days
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:10 am 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 89 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Vale Royal
My hardiness zone is: 8b
Prof Harrison, you are a good Orchid type Bloke like us.
I mean that with all the sincerity we have Knowing Whom is a player and Whom is not.
All the best to you and your Endeavours.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 188 posts
My nearest city or region is: London
My hardiness zone is: 9a
I *think* I've got facebook looking a little prettier, have cleaned out all the old feeds on there, and now posting images on the forum will result in an image on facebook too. Maybe I'll let it run for a while to see how it looks. Might add the opportunity to comment on facebook too - although those comments won't find their way onto the forum ever and will eventually get lost.

There's a "Follow" link at the top-right of this forum page now, so it is easy to follow the facebook page and see what it does for you.

• Email me for site admin issues
• Orchid inspiration (random images from this site for viewing and discussion)
• Orchid growlist | • Orchid wishlist
• Carnivorous plant growlist

Seeking: Aristolochia cathcartii, Encephalartos inopinus, Passiflora incarnata, P. tucumanensis (seeds) Lobelia gloria-montis, L. villosa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 4 posts
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
I've had some time on my hands last few weeks so I've been bouncing on and off here more than usual. Its really a shame there has been hardly any posts at all other than some (always) excellent content from OCRC_Dir_China. I know its summer etc but its starting to feel like this forum is a relic now. A real shame. I've been on facebook more as well and still cant bring myself to like it. I dont want friends from other hobbies seeing pictures of my orchids in their feed, although it has proved to someone I know that I'm not growing anything illegal in that box in my garage!

I've posted in another thread regarding societies, but I'm wondering if the hobby itself while perhaps not dying out is becoming more of a solitary activity with occasional forays into google/forums/facebook as required for information.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 28 posts
My nearest city or region is: mk
I count as an enthusiastic new grower...everything I've learned is through forums. Although its not as much of a challenge for me but anymore but I used to hobby grow chillis and the forum scene is much more active...what they do is each have a grow log which is really handy as the experts are constantly updating what they are doing so as a learner you can keep on asking questions and learning...your goals are always changing...it makes for a growing community. Also there does seem to be new people coming here fresh from shop Phal's but the problem seems to be getting them hooked.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 400 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
I must say I very rarley post on here becuase there is very rarley anyone around to comment chat talk to. I still active on here through personal message.
I use the USA forums a lot more that have people from all ove the world on them. I also an very much more active on twitter and instergram than I ever use to.
When I come to Facebook I pretty much only have Facebook for the messenger to talk to friends, I may actually go on Facebook maybe one or twice a month to two months.
When It come down to the societies, I have a very strong oppion on that from how I got treated as a 14 years old starting out in orchids. If it had not been for talking to nurseries starting out instead of the societies. If it had been the other way round and it had been societies I had spoken to first I would never have continued in the orchid world and just left it.

It is a major shame that it's so quite on here. I have missed it, I tried with a few thread to start discussions but fell flat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:38 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 4 posts
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
blondie - I can see your point. It seems to be a bit 'chicken and egg' - getting no response means people post less and thus less people read/respond and it just spirals downward.

I thought about posting more, but dont want to end up being in an echo chamber talking to myself or being seen as posting too much. Perhaps if we all (we that are still on here) post and try to drum up some enthusiasm again.....

Shame to hear about your society experience. I'd hope it was just that society rather than a wider problem. Starting young people off in any hobby is hard enough and they should have been supportive. Glad to hear nurseries saw the next generation of customers though and put the time in!

blondie likes this post.