The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - What is in bloom at the OCRC in China.
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:17 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 277 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
What is in bloom right now at the OCRC, found a great deal in stress both at the green house and home. Good news a 20 year land deal went through so construction of a new green house will start soon on 2,000 m square parcel of land, about 12 to 15 km from me now.

Attachment:
03042017    1.jpg
03042017 1.jpg [ 139.58 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    2.jpg
03042017 2.jpg [ 85.52 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    3.jpg
03042017 3.jpg [ 76.85 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    4.jpg
03042017 4.jpg [ 114.38 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    5.jpg
03042017 5.jpg [ 186.52 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Dendrobium wardianum Warner
03042017    6.jpg
03042017 6.jpg [ 114.87 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    7.jpg
03042017 7.jpg [ 100.53 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    8.jpg
03042017 8.jpg [ 128.08 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    9.jpg
03042017 9.jpg [ 87.5 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    10.jpg
03042017 10.jpg [ 92.96 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    11.jpg
03042017 11.jpg [ 94.58 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    12.jpg
03042017 12.jpg [ 124.03 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    13.jpg
03042017 13.jpg [ 98.9 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    14.jpg
03042017 14.jpg [ 142.41 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    15.jpg
03042017 15.jpg [ 143.66 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    16.jpg
03042017 16.jpg [ 168.72 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

Attachment:
03042017    17.jpg
03042017 17.jpg [ 79.2 KiB | Viewed 1907 times ]

View us at ocrcchina.com

Last edited by OCRC_Dir_China on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

6 people like this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:19 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 396 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: London SW
OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
Good news a 20 year land deal went through so construction of a new green house will start soon on 2,000 m square parcel of land, about 12 to 15 km from me now

Congrats on the land deal Kenneth, only because I imagine it could be bad enough dealing with Western authorities and only guessing it may be twice as difficult there?

A smashing batch of plants flowering for you now, its very uplifting to see buds and flowers all starting to spring into life together, confirms that Spring is on its way.

I immediately zoomed in on what I think is Den. Wardianum?, if so, can I ask you how you grow yours?
I've had mine 2 years, 2 bunches of flowers last year and I can only see 1 this year, its pathetic but it looks like you can flower them by the crate-full?

Steve

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:59 am 

My nearest city or region is: Cheshire
I'm interested also, this is one we have as well. Yours look great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:04 pm 

stevek wrote:
OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
Good news a 20 year land deal went through so construction of a new green house will start soon on 2,000 m square parcel of land, about 12 to 15 km from me now

Congrats on the land deal Kenneth, only because I imagine it could be bad enough dealing with Western authorities and only guessing it may be twice as difficult there?

A smashing batch of plants flowering for you now, its very uplifting to see buds and flowers all starting to spring into life together, confirms that Spring is on its way.

I immediately zoomed in on what I think is Den. Wardianum?, if so, can I ask you how you grow yours?
I've had mine 2 years, 2 bunches of flowers last year and I can only see 1 this year, its pathetic but it looks like you can flower them by the crate-full?

Steve

It is unbelievable how land in China is so controlled.

I use a commercial plant food at 1/4 th strength and add powdered chicken bone and egg shell to it and feed them weekly when growing and budding and give them less light and cooler temp for about 40 to 60 days and less water. Feed every two weeks with commercial plant food about 1/8th strength when resting, them slowly increases increase temp, light and food over 30 to 40 days and watch the buds form. This is what works for us.

View us at ocrcchina.com

SilverShaded likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:23 pm 

SilverShaded wrote:
I'm interested also, this is one we have as well. Yours look great!

I/we always try to produce show quality plants, this is our goal. One thing that can make this impossible is letting the plant get stressed during active or during the rest period. I call this a set back, sometimes after stress they still can produce a few flowers and look ok, but not at top form and show quality. I try do justice to our plants and give them every thing in proper amounts, so that the plants will be at top form. It's not as easy as many would think and a watchful experienced eye is needed to detect any negative changes before any major damage can happen.
When the new green house is completed, many thing will become easier, a proper automated green house can help you keep some hair from falling out.

When a stranger who is orchid knowledgeable comes into your green house and say's I never seen such healthy plants and exceptional flowers in my life, this is the greatest compliment for a green house keeper and their staff.

View us at ocrcchina.com

SilverShaded likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:16 pm 

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:

Or both unbelievable and believable at the same time ?, unbelievable as so controlled but also believable when you realise where you are?

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:
I use a commercial plant food at 1/4 th strength and add powdered chicken bone and egg shell to it and feed them weekly when growing and budding and give them less light and cooler temp for about 40 to 60 days and less water. Feed every two weeks with commercial plant food about 1/8th strength when resting, them slowly increases increase temp, light and food over 30 to 40 days and watch the buds form. This is what works for us.

Thanks for that information Kenneth, it was just to confirm the "nobile" type conditions.
Its a new(ish) plant for me and one of my favourites so I think I haven't learnt to be tough enough with it yet. It was placed in a cooler area but I thought the newest, almost mature cane was starting to yellow and maybe die so I returned it to the grow-room sooner than I would have liked as I preferred to save the cane for next year at the cost of a few flowers this year.
The new cane is fine, I was going to attach a photo of the older cane with its bumper crop of just one bud (so far?), but compared to your flowering, I was too ashamed ! :oops:

Steve

OCRC_Dir_China likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 400 posts
My nearest city or region is: birmingham warwickshire
lots in flower there the dendrobiums are lovely.

The post is bringing lots of found memeries of the Orchid Nursery in NOG when i was there.

Lots of lovely plants you've got in the collection

OCRC_Dir_China likes this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm 

stevek wrote:
OCRC_Dir_China wrote:

Or both unbelievable and believable at the same time ?, unbelievable as so controlled but also believable when you realise where you are?

OCRC_Dir_China wrote:

Thanks for that information Kenneth, it was just to confirm the "nobile" type conditions.
Its a new(ish) plant for me and one of my favourites so I think I haven't learnt to be tough enough with it yet. It was placed in a cooler area but I thought the newest, almost mature cane was starting to yellow and maybe die so I returned it to the grow-room sooner than I would have liked as I preferred to save the cane for next year at the cost of a few flowers this year.
The new cane is fine, I was going to attach a photo of the older cane with its bumper crop of just one bud (so far?), but compared to your flowering, I was too ashamed ! :oops:

Sounds like it may have been a little to cold for it, trail and error can lead to perfection. Never be ashamed to show what has flowered or not flowered for you, many times I have had orchids not bloom or produce a trickle of sick looking flowers. That's when you have to back up rethink it and try again.

Steve

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:19 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 89 posts
My nearest city or region is: Vale Royal
My hardiness zone is: 8b
Great photos, great work. great to hear about your land deal. I'm liking photo number 2 Kenneth can you tell me what it is? please.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm 

blondie wrote:
lots in flower there the dendrobiums are lovely.

The post is bringing lots of found memeries of the Orchid Nursery in NOG when i was there.

Lots of lovely plants you've got in the collection

We are happy that the photos, bring back some good memories for you, my goal will be in the new green house is to try and keep 50 different orchid species in bloom year round. Sounds crazy, but I do love the challenge, we have a very diverse collection so it is possible but will require a great deal of micro management concerning the growing conditions.

We may get a rare cymbidium the cost is 200,000 RMB, but I want more information before that kind of money changes hands. I think it is was smuggled into China, from Cambodia or Myanmar, at which case no deal, and the proper authorities will learn about it.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 am 

Liked in: 410 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
Kenneth thanks for taking the time to put up the pics of your plants. I must however say that I am disappointed that names are missing from all of them. I like to learn about different plants and increase my knowledge of them but your post did little to add to that knowledge. Any chance you could edit the post putting in names when you are not too busy? :handgestures-thumbupright:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 pm 

I will try to add the names as soon as I can.

These are just starting to open.

Attachment:
File comment: Holcoglossum favescens (Schlechter) Z.Ib.Tsi
Holcoglossum flavescens.jpg
Holcoglossum flavescens.jpg [ 267.61 KiB | Viewed 1730 times ]

View us at ocrcchina.com

Michele V likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 am 

Nice, flower looks just like the H sinicum I have in bloom at the moment- courtesy of Stevek.
this should have a fragrance? sinicum is smells strongly of coconut.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 am 

OldConkerwood wrote:
Nice, flower looks just like the H sinicum I have in bloom at the moment- courtesy of Stevek.
this should have a fragrance? sinicum is smells strongly of coconut.

I have not detected any fragrance so far but the flower just opened today. I went to CITES to add some information about this genus to the Identification Manual and found they do have any listing for any Holcoglossum at all. But it is listed in the Catalog of Life, so I sent CITES an email to let them know, then they can add it.

View us at ocrcchina.com

OldConkerwood likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 am 

OldConkerwood wrote:
flower looks just like the H sinicum I have in bloom at the moment

Well spotted Barnie, I've always had trouble seeing the difference between the two :crazy:
Just Googled them to see if sinicum is a synonym for flavescens (and vice-versa) but they are listed as separate plants with no mention of synonyms for either, both are endemic to China.
The red markings look slightly heavier in the flavescens and the yellow looks slightly darker too, but unless that is photo reproduction quality, I would still have trouble telling them apart.
The coconut fragrance seems to be most noticeable in sinicum almost immediately after watering (as if the plant is saying "Thank you for watering me" in its own little flowery way ! :roll: ), so next time you water them Kenneth.......

BTW: What are they growing in, it looks like my old gravel path ?

Steve

OldConkerwood likes this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:21 pm 

stevek wrote:
OldConkerwood wrote:
flower looks just like the H sinicum I have in bloom at the moment

Well spotted Barnie, I've always had trouble seeing the difference between the two :crazy:
Just Googled them to see if sinicum is a synonym for flavescens (and vice-versa) but they are listed as separate plants with no mention of synonyms for either, both are endemic to China.
The red markings look slightly heavier in the flavescens and the yellow looks slightly darker too, but unless that is photo reproduction quality, I would still have trouble telling them apart.
The coconut fragrance seems to be most noticeable in sinicum almost immediately after watering (as if the plant is saying "Thank you for watering me" in its own little flowery way ! :roll: ), so next time you water them Kenneth.......

BTW: What are they growing in, it looks like my old gravel path ?

Steve

I watered them yesterday we have some 300 of them, some in bloom many starting to bloom and some nothing. It will be interesting to see if any have any variances. Still no fragrance noticed, I found some information online;

Holcoglossum
Schlechter 1919
Pronunciation:
hole-koh-GLOSS-um (click on the name to hear it spoken)
Tribe: Vandeae
Subtribe: Aeridinae

The name Holcoglossum was derived from the Greek holkos (strap) glossa (tongue) in reference to the strap shaped lip of the type species, H. quasipinifolium. These medium- sized monopodials are rather rare in collections yet easy to grow although slow to bloom. The genus was established in 1919 by Rudolf Schlechter and later revised by Tsi in 1982 who recognized 4 species. In 1987, Christenson revised the genus once again and recognized 8 species. The World Checklist of Monocotyledons now recognizes 14 species. This small genus is allied to Vanda but readily distinguished by its different lip shape, longer spur and characteristic pollinia. Like those of Vanda, inflorescences are produced from the leaf axils. The few- to many white to pinkish purple flowers are often showy but can take as long as 6 months from emergence of the spike to the opening of the first flower. The terete leaves of the type species resemble pine needles in size. As a result, the genus is commonly known as the pine needle orchid in some parts of the world. Other recognized species in the genus include H. amesianum and H. kimballianum.
Number of species:
The World Monocot Checklist currently recognizes 14 species. (8/2007)
Distribution:
Tropical Southeast Asia from Burma to Taiwan

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:04 pm 

Thanks for that info Kenneth.
I was in the Popow website earlier to remind myself which paph. phillipinense I had and had a quick look in their Holcoglossum section and noticed another one: Nujiangense which again I can see no difference between that one and the 2 we have mentioned, but what's in a name?, I'd buy them whatever they were called.
I also have kimballianum but that is yet to flower, I also noticed Tsi on the website which appears to be a pale pink, I will be buying that too if I come across it at the London Show.

Its a fascinating little group of plants.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 pm 

Thanks from me too Kenneth, good info. I came across one at OrchidGarden in Lask.
Holcoglossum wangii really nice flower but the ones for sale are not flowering size.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 am 

stevek wrote:
Thanks for that info Kenneth.
I was in the Popow website earlier to remind myself which paph. phillipinense I had and had a quick look in their Holcoglossum section and noticed another one: Nujiangense which again I can see no difference between that one and the 2 we have mentioned, but what's in a name?, I'd buy them whatever they were called.
I also have kimballianum but that is yet to flower, I also noticed Tsi on the website which appears to be a pale pink, I will be buying that too if I come across it at the London Show.

Its a fascinating little group of plants.

Steve

I was surprised, about how little information is online about the genus Holcoglossum.

View us at ocrcchina.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 am 

OldConkerwood wrote:
Thanks from me too Kenneth, good info. I came across one at OrchidGarden in Lask.
Holcoglossum wangii really nice flower but the ones for sale are not flowering size.

I will try and collect all the Holcoglossum varieties in China.

View us at ocrcchina.com