The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Orchid Focus Bloom and Grow
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Halifax
Been using this two products as described on the bottles.
However went to am Orchid talk at local garden centre today and the guy taking advised to us Grow when you ha e flowers and Bloom to encourage the creation of flowers

However this is the opposite as what's on the products

Does anyone used these products and if so do you use as instructed on label or differently?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 395 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Jagtazman wrote:
the guy taking advised to us Grow when you ha e flowers and Bloom to encourage the creation of flowers

Hi,

I may be wrong, but that's always made absolute sense to me beleiving that once a flower spike has started to form, the number of flowers is already programmed and no amount of Bloom will encourage any further flowers, thinking that the Bloom formula should be applied in its non-blooming state when its starting to get ready to form a spike so that it has all the flowering elements it needs to create the maximum number of flowers?

I've used this product (and many others) and said a few times in Posts before that personally, I don't see any difference in the growth or flowering of my orchids whichever product I use or even if I don't feed for long periods at a time.

All I watch out for is that I dont overfeed.

Steve

OldConkerwood likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 pm 
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction
Inoccuous beginnings of forum addiction

Liked in: 31 posts
Just remember that every plant has its flowering season - environments being equal, even by feeding a different fertilizer in May you could not get a daffodil to flower in August. The growth cycle needs to complete. Once the annual growth has been done, the psb needs to make up and it is at that time that the change will encourage flowering in the next season. Generally speaking - no new growth, no flower. The important thing after flowering is to let the plant initiate growth then use GROW, switching to Bloom at the other end of the growth cycle.

OCRC_Dir_China likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm 
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings
Global Moderator and Lord of the Rings

Liked in: 38 posts
My nearest city or region is: Birmingham
I mix the two together to make a 'balanced' feed that I can use for all my plants.

http://www.kevsorchids.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:16 am 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 3 posts
My nearest city or region is: Keighley
It seems to me that the situation is really impossible to define except perhaps in limited circumstnces.

My Zyg started its flower spike concurrently with the new pseudobulb. But the flower is now long past whereas the new growth is still very juvenile and apparently could now receive 'growth' feed. But when to apply 'bloom' feed? not much point at the end of the new pseudobulb's growth since it will presumably not be responding to feed at that time.

My Den. phalaenopsis flowers on recently and older matured growth but the new growth is starting now while last year's growth is flowering. Perhaps it needs 'growth' now and certaily the current flowering phase needs nothing. But does the new growth need flowering encouragement before it is too late? If so it is never going to get 'growth' feed because there is no point later.

What happens in nature? Perhaps in some cases there is a seasonal variation but I would expect (in ignorance) that this would be in availability rather than a change in substance.