The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Is it direct or indirect light?
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Leeds
My hardiness zone is: 8
Hi, I recently went to the Harrogate Orchid Society annual show and couldn't resist leaving with some new seedling/young orchids.
Among them I picked up a Holcoglossum kimballianum and an Aerides flabellata, these are my first Vandaceous orchids and I'm worried about giving them enugh light. I have a large frontroom window I was considering hanging them in front of, It's west facing and has a net curtain.
So would a west facing window with net provide enough light for them? And not so much as to scorch them?
Thanks, I'm really wanting to do well by them. Especially as the Holcoglossum has just started a flower spike - don't want to lose it.
Auslyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 1 post
My nearest city or region is: Staffordshire
Hi, I went to the Harrogate how too & came back with more than I should have :thumbup:
I have my Vanda's (hanging & potted) in a west facing bathroom window & they do just fine.

Auslyn likes this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 am 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 395 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Hi,

I grew & flowered Vandas very well in a north-facing room, under lights, with no direct light at all.
Both Vandas & Holcoglossums need bright light but with vandas, I've come to the conclusion from experience, that it doesn't have to be direct sun.
At this time of year, I don't think the English sun is strong enough to cause problems in your west-facing window, even without net curtains.
Summer souldn't be a problem either because it's not sun all day but you may need to up the watering if they are bare-rooted in baskets.

I have a kimballianum too, it's leaves turned reddish under the lights (denoting too much light), so I moved it further away and its leaves are now a more normal green colour.
It's new(ish) in my collection, hasn't flowered yet, looking forward to it's first spike but until then, a photo of yours would be nice ?

Steve