The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Specklinia anderssonii
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Specklinia anderssonii
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Warrington
This was a very recent purchase of mine! I'm hoping for perhaps a few tips on keeping it. It's a wonderful plant- as far as I am aware it came from an offshoot of the local zoo collection though I may not be totally correct on that.

So far I know it is intermediate growing, from the Loja canton of Ecuador.

Its temporary home so far is on my desk, on this little shelf. Any help at all would be amazing!

Attachments:
File comment: Specklinia anderssonii
P1010226.JPG
P1010226.JPG [ 885.3 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 89 posts
My nearest city or region is: Vale Royal
My hardiness zone is: 8b
Hi, Its a Pleurothallis, similar to my P restrepioides, so moist, cool, No direct sunlight.
Barnie.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 395 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
All I can say is that since I moved my (what I call) Pleuro-type plants over to rockwool, they have done very well.

A Restrepia cuprea & Stellis ciliolata have put out more leaves in the rockwool faster than at any time in other media/mounted.

But my pride & joy is the attached Mas. decumana, almost lost it being down to just 2 leaves but not only putting out lots of replacement leaves in the rockwool, but finally a single bud !

Will probably put any Pleuro-type plants in rockwool in future.

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF2080.JPG
DSCF2080.JPG [ 374.12 KiB | Viewed 284 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:10 pm 
Still settling in
Still settling in

Liked in: 0 post
My nearest city or region is: Warrington
Thank you for the input!

I managed to find a wonderful housing thing for it, that I have yet to set up, and your recommendation of rockwool is one I hadn't considered before. To clarify, we are talking about the insulation material? Do you mix it with anything else? Just cube it?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am 

Liked in: 395 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
Littlelionlapin wrote:
I managed to find a wonderful housing thing for it, that I have yet to set up, and your recommendation of rockwool is one I hadn't considered before. To clarify, we are talking about the insulation material? Do you mix it with anything else? Just cube it?

Hi,

I think rockwool is the same as the insulation but the rockwool for planting is bought as horticultural rockwool from a Nursery/Hydrponic supplier (rather than a massive roll of it from Wickes!!! :shock: ),
Don't know if there's any difference but the insulation could have been treated with chemicals for fire-retardence ?
A word of caution!.....Pleuro growing in rockwool is quite new to me (about a year) so I haven't trialled it myself long term (they could all crash & burn after a few years? :? ), but at the moment they are all doing very well.
I mentioned a Stellis in my earlier Post, it had only finished flowering a couple of months ago but I was pleasantly surprised to find new spikes coming up already when I was watering it this weekend.
I also have an orange-coolured Masevallia Noid which I bought from a local Garden Centre (because it was very unusual to find these in Garden Centres), that was already in rockwool so I guess if the professional growers use it, it can't be that bad?

I've attached another photo of the Massie I mentioned, now fully in flower, I've angled it so you can see the depth of the rockwool which is not deep as I don't think these are deep-rooted plants so its also in a shallow Vanda basket. The rockwool is firmed down just to avoid any lage gaps between the cubes, nothing added to it.

Hope this helps?

Steve

Attachments:
DSCF2089.JPG
DSCF2089.JPG [ 363.23 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

OldConkerwood likes this post.