The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - Pln. Kathmandu
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pln. Kathmandu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:38 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 101 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Pinner
Nothing new to show you from my breeding this year. Last years growth suffered from the hot summer so the roots did not develop a well as usual and therefore the feed could not be taken up to the normal degree. Hopefully better luck next year, but that is how it goes with breeding and raising your own crosses.

However I am sharing two results from a previous cross that I do not believe I have posted before. This cross is frustration in the lack of flowers it produces. I have selected three clones from this cross. There is a mid size pink/purple that is nice and free flowering but would not set the world on fire. The other two are very reluctant flowerers but are special in their colouring. They produce big plump bulbs which always look as if they will flower. Of the two clones the light salmon one has produced four flowers from twenty two bulbs and the caramel one just two from fifteen bulbs. A very poor return space wise. This has been the case for the past five or six years, but they are worth keeping despite that.

I am using both in my breeding programme as I have found in the past the reluctance to flower is not an inherited trait from past crosses, hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Enjoy
Steve

Attachments:
DSCN1254.JPG
DSCN1254.JPG [ 167.31 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]
DSCN1256.JPG
DSCN1256.JPG [ 151.28 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pln. Kathmandu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:55 pm 
Probably run out of new things to post
Probably run out of new things to post

Liked in: 410 posts
My nearest city or region is: Bristol
My hardiness zone is: UK zone 8b
They are both gorgeous Steve the colour is really nice, particularly on the second one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:57 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 20 posts
I live in: Romania • România
My nearest city or region is: Timisoara
My hardiness zone is: 7
What a beautiful color! Like a peach!
How long does it take from seed to flower?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 101 posts
My nearest city or region is: Pinner
Time from pollination to flowering?

I have had flowers from primary crosses in five years. The average is seven for primaries and eight for complex hybrids. However complex hybrids can be as long as ten years before the first flowers are seen and the a further three before the last ones of that cross will flower. The Kathmandu illustrated here was crossed in 2001 and first flowered in 2012. I kept it beyond the ten year cut off because the leaf form was nice and wide with respect to the length. This is always a good indication that the future flower has good potential and could be a natural tetraployd.

Another factor I consider is that from 33 years of breeding Pleiones, I know that the first and last to flower are the ones most likely to be the best and may be somewhat different to the bulk that will flower in between. I have a rule that if the first flower is indifferent, and the following year the bulk are similar, then that whole cross becomes an instant dustbin job. I just don't have the room for sympathy! That is a common situation and one such cross has just suffered that fate. It takes a while to establish a flow of seedlings coming through, but when the pipeline is established it gives a lot of encouragement and interest every year.

Terry
Unfortunately I have a new colour program on the computer and I just cannot get it right. Both clones should be a couple of shades darker. The second one in particular is a light caramel which is a distinct colour break from anything else around at present.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am 
I think I like it here
I think I like it here

Liked in: 20 posts
I live in: Romania • România
My nearest city or region is: Timisoara
My hardiness zone is: 7
Thank you very much...12 years... you need a lot of patience and perseverance. It is true that is rewarding, but it's not an easy job...

Thank you very much for sharing all these information, together with these beautiful flowers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:29 pm 
Hope they have forums in the hereafter
Hope they have forums in the hereafter

Liked in: 395 posts
My nearest city or region is: London SW
They certainly earn their space with a lot of flower and little foliage, almost all flower and nothing else!
Great colour too.

Steve..........( :? the other one!)