The Orchid Forum, for the UK and Europe (previously known as The UK Orchid Forum) • View topic - The orchid books, I purchased over the last two months.
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 am 
This forum is my spiritual home

Liked in: 277 posts
I live in: China • 中國/中国
My nearest city or region is: Changchun China
I need to stay away from Amazon Books for awhile. But I could not pass up on the deals, but it will be a job to drag them all back on my next R&R trip.

British and Irish Orchids, by D.M. Turner Ettlinger (1976)
Handbook on orchid nomenclature and registration, by American orchid society (1994)
John Lindley (1799-1865) by William T. Stearn (2006)
The Orchid Review Vol.85 (1977)
The Orchid Review Vol. lll (1895)
The Orchid Review Vol .ll (1894)
The International Book of Orchids (1984)
Popular Orchids by Brain and Wima Rittershausen (1971)
Beautiful Thai Orchids Species by Haruyuki Kamemoto (2009)
British Orchids by A.D. Webster (1898)
Orchids growers manual by Benjamin Samuel Williams (1877)
Wild Orchids across Korean Peninsula by Kyung Seo Lee (2011)
Flora Brasilica by F.C. Philip A. Munz. Hoehne (1947)
Die Orchideen von Java by J.J. Smith (1911)
Tropical Asiatic Slippers Orchids by Keith Bennett (1984)
Orchids: their structure, history & culture by lewis Castle (1886 a copy)
Darwins orchids then and now by Edens-meier, Retha (2014)
Wild Orchids of Myanmar Vol.1 by Tanaka, Yoshitaka
Wild Orchids of Myanmar Vol.2 by Tanaka, Yoshitaka

View us at ocrcchina.com

2 people like this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 pm 
Spending more time here than healthy
Spending more time here than healthy

Liked in: 106 posts
I live in: United Kingdom (England)
My nearest city or region is: Cambridge
My hardiness zone is: UK 8
That is a amazingly impressive collection!
Rob

"In light there is warmth, there is hope and there is joy of life and creation itself."

http://orchidmanuk.blogspot.com

OCRC_Dir_China likes this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:31 pm 

rgebczynski wrote:
That is a amazingly impressive collection!
Rob

Thanks Rob, I all so bought about twelve old orchid articles and prints dating mostly 1860 to 1900. My goal is to protect them and display them.

View us at ocrcchina.com

OldConkerwood likes this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:28 am 

Attachment:
File comment: Spider Orchid
Spider Orchid Beautiful Flowers 1866.jpg
Spider Orchid Beautiful Flowers 1866.jpg [ 58.95 KiB | Viewed 9370 times ]

Ophrys AraniferaSpider Orchid Printed 1866, LondonLithographed by W.G. Smith Charming original antique color lithographed botanical print. Printed on period paper as issued which shows typical signs of age, age toned resulting in a nice patina, but remains sound. An appealing, uncommon and interesting antique image which could readily be collected on it's own merits, displayed or given as a present. In Good to VG or better antiquarian condition, mostly clean overall, light scattered spotting or foxing, minor age dustiness or light surface wear, overall the image is clean and very attractive. Please inspect enlargeable photo closely- any noteworthy flaws to the printed surface area should be noticeable within zoomable picture provided. [note: We grade very conservatively and always seek to disclose any noteworthy flaws. We are doing our best to show describe this item so you are happy when it arrives]. Despite any small age flaws, the printed area remains visually pleasing, and the print is well preserved. Overall a nice impression of an original and interesting antique printed image that any collector, dealer or person of taste would be happy to own or display. Sheet measures c. 5 1/8" W x 8 1/2" H. Printed area measures c. 3 1/8" W x 7 1/4" H.[84216]

Attachment:
File comment: Preacher-in-the-pulpit orchid 1879
Preacher-in-the-pulpit orchid 1879.jpg
Preacher-in-the-pulpit orchid 1879.jpg [ 30.04 KiB | Viewed 9370 times ]

ORCHIS SPECTABILIS Printed Boston: 1879; by L. Prang Company. Fine original antique color lithographed botanical print, produced in the late-19th century. Printed on quality period paper which may show typical gentle signs of age, but retains its inherent structural flexibility and soundness. In Very Good or better antiquarian condition, light minor age toning to sheet, mostly clean overall -- please inspect photos closely. [note: We grade very conservatively and always seek to disclose any noteworthy flaws. We are doing our best to show describe this item so you are happy when it arrives]. The printed area remains visually pleasing and well preserved. Overall a nice impression that any collector, curator or institution would be happy to own or display. Sheet measures c. 6 7/8" W x 9 7/8" H. Engraved area measures c. 5 1/2" W x 7 3/4" H. [E8823] We encourage you to print this description to keep with the image.

Attachment:
File comment: 1873
1873 .jpg
1873 .jpg [ 189.1 KiB | Viewed 9370 times ]

From Sowerby's book "ENGLISH BOTANY" or "COLOURED FIGURES of BRITISH PLANTS" published in London by George Bell & Sons in 1873. It was edited by John boswell Syme. James Sowerby (1757-1822) who trained as an artist and studied at the Royal Academy of Arts and was first apprenticed to the marine painter, Richard Wright. He was best known for his drawings in English Botany: originally published between 1790 & 1814, but also contributed plates to the first volumes of Curtis's 'The Botanical Magazine' and 'Flora Londinensis'. "English Botany" was subsequently reprinted in various editions with supplements. The work was actually written by James Edward Smith, whose name, at his request was originally withheld. The combination of Smith's text and Sowerby's accurate and attractive drawings, ensured that Sowerby's English Botany would become a classic work of English Botanical Literature. (Reference: Nissen 2225, Great flower books p. 140) This unframed and unmounted original hand-coloured lithograph is in very good condition with vibrant colours, there is the usual slight natural tanning of the paper. It is blank on verso.

Attachment:
Sowerby's English Botany  FE ORCHIS (ORCHID) - Hand-Colored Litho - 1873 .jpg
Sowerby's English Botany FE ORCHIS (ORCHID) - Hand-Colored Litho - 1873 .jpg [ 161.47 KiB | Viewed 9370 times ]

From Sowerby's book "ENGLISH BOTANY" or "COLOURED FIGURES of BRITISH PLANTS" published in London by George Bell & Sons in 1873. It was edited by John boswell Syme. James Sowerby (1757-1822) who trained as an artist and studied at the Royal Academy of Arts and was first apprenticed to the marine painter, Richard Wright. He was best known for his drawings in English Botany: originally published between 1790 & 1814, but also contributed plates to the first volumes of Curtis's 'The Botanical Magazine' and 'Flora Londinensis'. "English Botany" was subsequently reprinted in various editions with supplements. The work was actually written by James Edward Smith, whose name, at his request was originally withheld. The combination of Smith's text and Sowerby's accurate and attractive drawings, ensured that Sowerby's English Botany would become a classic work of English Botanical Literature. (Reference: Nissen 2225, Great flower books p. 140) This unframed and unmounted original hand-coloured lithograph is in very good condition with vibrant colours, there is the usual slight natural tanning of the paper. It is blank on verso.

Just some I what I was able to buy. I have a soft spot for the old prints and they will be by our students.

View us at ocrcchina.com

OldConkerwood likes this post.